Walking backwards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old September 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Walking backwards

I need something to stabilize my camera (XL1) while i walk backwards filming an actor walking down a road. I can get a few bodies to help me (hold on) so i dont go flying but I need to know what kind of stabilizer would I need.

I'm on a budget of pretty much nothing but I am prepared to beg, borrow and steal if needs be.

So guys, what would you recommend?

Ta

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Trustee

My first thought would be to borrow a smaller camera for this shot (PD150 for example) and use one of these:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/
The same rig with all the parts sent to you:
http://littlegreatideas.com/steadycam/

Or you might be able to handle the XL1 on something like this (for about the same price):
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...l_dv_cam.html\
... but the XL1 might be heavy for this, too.

Trying to borrow a lighter camer you could match in post for this one shot would be my first priority.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #3
Trustee

And then, if you want a contrary view to what I said in the previous post, read this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=83276

A GL2 and a collapsed tripod (see thread referenced above) might work for you for this shot.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Major Player

Is hiring a local Steadicam Operator to do the shot a possibilty? If it's a low budget or student production with perhaps an interesting shot, you could score a cheap rate.

- Mikko
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #5
Wrangler

If the actor is literally walking down the road, could you shoot it from the back of a pickup/SUV/wagon from sticks or handheld? Or (low tech here) handheld sitting backwards on a mountain bike while a couple of helpers steer the bike for you?
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #6
Major Player

In the absence of a vest gimble and springs, the idea of hanging out the back of a pickup is perfect ... well as perfect as one can under the (budget) circumstances.

The trick is to get your hands at 9 oclock and 3 oclock a la Fig Rig with some sort of attachment. The Manfrotto reps actually suggest steady-cam like performance from the Figgis tool but this is a bit of a stretch.

I have seen some devices that don't cost a bunch to build (buy) that give the operator some control over the x and y plane. These are mostly designed for anti-fatigue purposes but can assist in a steady move.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #7
Major Player

The idea of hanging out the back of a truck is a possiblity as out of the 3 similar shots I need two are of an actor walking down the middle of a road. One of the however, is gonna need to be on a pavement / sidewalk. However, the script is more adaptable than my budget is, so a rethink may be in order.

Cheers for your advice guys.
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Sorry, just another thought, someone mentioned using a smaller camera. The only other camera I have available is my Panasonic GS75 which I use mainly for underwater work.
I really wanted to use the XL1 in 16:9 mode and I'm sure the GS75 doesn't have any form of 16:9 abilities so matching the footage up would be difficult / impossible. Or so I think, if I'm wrong and it's doable please let me know.

Ta

Dave
Dave Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)