How would you recommend I attach a monitor and battery to my Indicam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Major Player

How would you recommend I attach a monitor and battery to my Indicam?

Hi all. . .

I have an Indicam Pilot system with dual upgraded arms. I am using an HVX and want to be able to attach my Ikan V8000HD monitor and battery to the Indicam. Will a Noga arm do the trick? Or is something else recommended?

Thanks much.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Stephen!

How are you enjoying the Pilot?

I don't use an external monitor on mine but I would think you can mount the monitor and battery on the bottom sled plate, replacing the weights. Mount the monitor on the front side of the bottom plate and the battery on the back side of the bottom plate. You will have to adjust the exact placement so that the sled remains in balance but it should work.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Stephen,

Here is a shot of one of the monitors we messed around with. It works but we'd still like a bit more solid mount holding it.

We prefer the side mounted monitor for a number of reasons but we suppose it's all in what you are used to using.

Tery
Indicam
Attached Thumbnails
How would you recommend I attach a monitor and battery to my Indicam?-nebtek58.jpg  

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Thaz a nice removable mounting for the LCD Terry. Using the Sony Batt in an idea I have too but it is not easy to get a monitor to conform to the voltage. Most r running on 12V now..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Sean,

The battery adaptor and monitor come as a unit. The battery adaptor converts the Sony Li Ion battery to 12V.
Check the Nebtek website:
www.nebtek.com

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Trustee

wow thaz nice. But it would be tough to ship it all the way to SG.. BTW they have a really nice HD Field monitor now..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Sean,

An HD field monitor is nice but not necessary for a steadicam type work because you are using the monitor mostly for framing and not for picture quality. If it's a good price (not likely) then why not.

I like the monitors from NEBTEK because they can be used outdoors without a hood. They have an active matrix screen.

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Trustee

Terry,
I already have a varizoom swit high rez 7" monitor, and would eventually like to use it on my indicam. One problem is that I bought it with Canon battery adaptor. The battery fits right on the back of the monitor.
Is the monitor too big, and how would I mount it?
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Bruce,

You would need some kind of mount with a standard thread pattern (1/4" x 20). You would then mount it on the front of the bottom plate with the battery on the other side. You would need extra weight on the battery side as shown in the picture. You want both sides of the bottom plate to be equal in weight at the center for ease in balancing.

The Nebtec monitors I have used work well and they aren't very heavy so everything worked out OK. I personally don't use the bottom mounted monitor so someone else will have to chime in with their recommendations.

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old November 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I've never operated a steady device before...

So the monitor on the lower part helps by doing what exactly?
Pietro Impagliazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

The monitor on the lower part helps you to frame the image properly while watching where you walk.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #12
Major Player

Pietro,

The bottom mounted monitor came about because it was the only way to frame a shot with the cameras that were available on the origional Steadicam systems. We now have cameras with their own built in monitors and we can use either system.

I prefer the side mounted monitor as I don't have to worry about an extra battery and carrying the charger etc. Also, with our system, it's easier to balance using the side mounted monitor while keeping the bottom plate equal in weight front and back.

I know there are benefits of using the bottom mounted monitor as Chris has stated. You can see the ground directly in front of you as you walk and there aren't any problems with possible blind spots such as viewing the side monitor as you are pointing the camera towards the right (where the monitor is on the other side of the camera and harder to see). I have found ways around that shot so it hasn't been any problem for me during my shoots.

Tonga was great by the way and we are planning on going again in a few years.

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson View Post
The bottom mounted monitor came about because it was the only way to frame a shot with the cameras that were available on the origional Steadicam systems.
Not so fast there, Mr. T! The monitor didn't find its way to the bottom until the 2nd production model of the Steadicam, aka the Model 1. Let's set the wayback machine to 1972...

1) Garrett Brown's homebuilt prototype. Seen here with Arri 2C and fiber optic viewfinder that physically mounted to his eye. He quickly realized that having two separate images going to the brain was not the way to go.
2) Later prototype as used on the very first feature to incorporate Steadicam, "Bound for Glory". Black-and-white CRT bolted to top of the camera.
3) Early production prototype on "Rocky". Monitor still on top. Note assistant with 1/4" videotape deck recording Garrett's moves.
4) First production model, Steadicam35, still with dedicated 2c and top-mounted monitor.
5) Second production model, Universal Model 1. This allowed for a variety of cameras to be mounted, including video and sound 35mm. Yours truly brandishing his newly acquired (but substantially used) stock Model 1 in 1989. The extended lower assembly resembled a sled, and this is where the name came from that is still in use today.
Attached Thumbnails
How would you recommend I attach a monitor and battery to my Indicam?-prototype.jpg   How would you recommend I attach a monitor and battery to my Indicam?-rocky.jpg  

How would you recommend I attach a monitor and battery to my Indicam?-model1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old January 5th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Fascinating stuff, Charles. Thanks!
Ted Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #15
Major Player

OK Charles,

I sit corrected.

I really didn't mean the very first series because my "way-back" machine doesn't go that far back. Thanks for the pictures by the way. I suppose I was doing a poor job at suggesting that the most logical place for the extra weight of the monitor and battery turned out to be at the bottom of the sled where it could counter the weight of the camera. There were no small and light side mount monitors in those days.

I know that most professional Steadicam operators still prefer the monitor on the bottom of the sled just like most operate with the sled on the left side of the body. I suppose it's the standard with many years of success.

I was just a baby with a foot in my mouth when the earliest steadicams came out. Well, actually I was old enough but not aware of the steadicam systems until later in life. Better late than never!

Tery
Indicam

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)