Home Built Body Mount Stabilizer...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 16th, 2003, 01:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Home Built Body Mount Stabilizer...?

Hey everyone.

I was surfing the web and came across the Home Built Stabilizers web site. In the site, there is a link to another site where you can by plans to "build your own".

I was wondering if:

- It is worth it.
- Is it just easier to buy a "real" body mounted stabilizer

I do not want to detract from the web site owner and creator of the plans. So I would like to ask tactfully. The site is www.codydeegan.com.

The demo movies look very impressive, and as a I am very new to this, I would love to get some opinions from the board.

Budget is an issue so a "real" rig is not an option right now. I also understand that you get what you pay for...

So, anyone used one, built one or want to add anything I have forgotten?

THANKS!
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:09 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

It looks quite interesting. I think there was a discussion regarding
this plans on the HBS website, do check it out. Also keep in mind
that building such a thing is still very very hard work [according to
the people who built one!]

Just watched those videos and they look quite impressive indeed,
especially the basketball and skateboard ones...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Of course is easier to buy a "real" body mounted stabilizer! (if you have the money). It's easier and it would perform better than a homemade one.
I haven't seen Cody's plans but I kip in touch with him and I can tell you he's honest and helpful. And he's into homebuilding. His plans are for a steadicam built from ready available parts (most of them). He's experimenting and looking for parts that could be use this way from many years. This days he's looking to build some more professional stabilizer with custom made parts. And he's thinking about closing the plans selling business...

It took me about a year and a half to find all the info I needed to built my own stabilizer.

Buying Cody's plans might save you some months of gathering info...
Old July 16th, 2003, 08:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Nicely put Cosmin. To add to that you should check out some of the owners who have made thier stabilizers using those same plans. Some pics of their rig is on the HBS site. I agree with Cosmin, that Cody is an honest man. I too was skeptical at first(He can atest to that along with some of the members ont the HBS forum) but that changed very quickly after he made me eat my mis-conceptions.
If you want to find more info go the the forum and post a question. He will definately answer you sincerely.
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Wrangler

There is a classic story about homebuilt stabilizers from the "old days" that this thread reminded me of. Charles K., please feel free to repost this on the HBS site if you wish, if you haven't heard this one already.

In the mid-80's, a gent named Jack Imes built himself a stabilizer using a crutch, a showerhead ball pivot and a back brace, amongst other off-the-shelf parts (the arm was built out of aluminum stock however). He wrote an article for an amateur filmmaking magazine with pictures of himself and the rig, and a headline like "build your own Steadicam for $100!" Which at that time I most certainly wanted to do.

He was offering plans for something like $2.00 in stamps, so I sent for them (still have them, I think) and went after my homebuild project. It got much more elaborate than Jack's, no crutch for the center post for me! A few months later I received a xeroxed letter from Jack that he had been warned by Cinema Product's lawyers that he was in potential violation of copyright and/or patent laws and had to cease and desist. He included the $2.00 in stamps.

Years later, Garrett Brown published a fascinating article in the long defunct Steadicam Newsletter about the many attempts to skirt the Steadicam patent. In the midst of raging legal battles with corporate entities like Panavision, Jack's article had appeared on Garrett's desk. Garrett was fine with it and probably admired the guy's entrepreneural style, but made a joke to his secretary while leaving one day that "we should sic the lawyers on this guy, haha". She thought he was serious, and the lawyers pounced, and poor Jack had to send out these letters. Garrett felt pretty bad about the whole thing.

Wonder where Jack is now--and if he's ever seen the HBS site!
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #6
Major Player

...and another one bites the dusk.Mmmmmm.
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

So it is illegal to copy the design AND SELL it.... But what about
if you just make one for yourself and you never sell it? (just
wondering)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank you for ALL of the INPUT! Cody seems like a very nice and honest guy. Anyone who would put their inspiration on the web in a touching movie has got to have some level of goodness.

Anyway, I understand my craftsman ship will not be as good as the store bought one, but neither is my wallet. =)

I will try and give it a go here in the next few weeks, assuming that he does not stop selling the plans.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

If you want to add anything more, I am ALL ears.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I have spent HOURS pouring over the HBS site trying to figure out how to make one. I figured out how to make a handheld one... that works great, but it is HEAVY! No so good with a back problem. No I need something body mounted.

- Aaron
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 02:25 AM   #9
Wrangler

Rob:

I should probably have pointed out that at the time of that story, the original Steadicam patent was in place. When it expired in the 90's, thus came the flood of stabilizers that are currently available. Nothing wrong with selling plans at this point.

At any time, it is acceptable to build your own version of a patented product. It's only an issue when you sell it to others.
Old July 17th, 2003, 03:04 AM   #10
Major Player

"it expired in the 90's, thus came the flood of stabilizers that are currently available. Nothing wrong with selling plans at this point."

You couldn't let me tell it, ha?! :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)