Need advise on newly purchased Merlin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advise on newly purchased Merlin

Hi all. Well after 2 weeks of anticipation waiting for my Merlin steadicam to arrive, it finally made it yesterday, but to my surprise when I opened the box I found that it looked like it had been used, maybe sold before and returned or maybe used as a demo model.

My question is do I return it for a new one? Or except an offered discount on the unit?

The only thing I am worried about is could it be defective and break down.
Are the Merlins pretty rugged and has anybody had any major problems with them?

Some advise and testimonials regarding this matter would greatly influence my decision on this matter. Thanks to all those that respond

Paul Cox
Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I will return it. It's a such high-precision machined device. You don't want to get a second hand one unless you know who were using it and how it was used.

The problem is that you can't tell if there is any problem with the Merlin until after you spent quite sometime practicing the moves. By then, it would be too late for a refund.
Paul Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Well, I don't have a Merlin but doesn't matter what I buy as new, if I see that it has been used it get's a one way ticket back.
How did you see it was used? and can't you go back to the store where you ordered it from or was it an internet order?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Couple of indications, the holes in the dovetail plate where the mounting screw goes is all worn and the screw itself has definitive screwdriver damage, also some of the parts were scattered in the case and not sealed, paint on the stage was scratched of like the dovetail plate had been sliding back and forth on it.

This was an internet order so I just cant take it back to the store , however they are willing to pay the shipping and send me a new one or they will give me a discount, not sure how much yet they said they will let me know tomorrow.
Paul Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cox View Post
This was an internet order so I just cant take it back to the store , however they are willing to pay the shipping and send me a new one or they will give me a discount, not sure how much yet they said they will let me know tomorrow.
That's the way it should be, luckely there still exist companies that take their customercomplaints seriously.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
doesn't matter what I buy as new, if I see that it has been used it get's a one way ticket back.
same here,
if you paid for the new you should recieve a new piece;
and please let me know the name of place you got it from (so I'll never deal with those guys)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)