film cameras on homebuilt stabilizers... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 25th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Major Player

film cameras on homebuilt stabilizers...

who said it can't be done. Here is a link to one HBS member who flies a Arri SR2 camera with his homebuilt system. Now, did someone say it can't be done...? Ha!

http://www.andreaskielb.de/test.htm
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Nice one! Anyone flying 35mm on their homebuilts, Charles?

That's a good looking rig he's built. Possibly a bit of twist to the vest, sending the pitch of the arm into that uncomfortable "have to rein it in"state, yeah?

One of these days, Charles, I'll have to scan in the pictures from the homebuild I made in 1984--think you'll get a kick out of it!
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #3
Major Player

He's building a new arm at the present time, alittle more beefier. Not though. Would love to see your arm Charles P. so I can put it up on HBS to show the others. It'll be a previlege to have it on the site ;)
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

On the list of "to do's" Charles.

Speaking of arm pitch, I noticed the brochure image of the new Tiffen "Clipper" rig doing just that to a surprising degree!
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Major Player

I didn't notice that. I'll have another look at it.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Well CharlesP. I just check the pic out and I don't see at all. In fact the árm blocks the view of the vest. BTW, is that the provid dual action arm the clipper is using? Arm capacity between 7.5-13kg. And that's with one spring per section. cool.

It seems that they must have done some modification to the mini steadicam vest because they are both bundled with the flyer ans clipper.

Oh I forgot. Just sent a copy of my book to Ira Tiffen upon his request and I've sent one over to Garret Brown and another one for signing :)
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:04 PM   #7
Wrangler

By arm pitch I'm referring to the attitude of the arm relative to level ground. The vertical members of the Clipper are leaning alarmingly to the right in the picture, meaning that if the operator was to let go with his right hand, the rig would instantly fly off the right side of the page (and possibly knock over my pal Laurie White in the Vector on p. 5!) Even with a countering body lean, the arm is clearly misadjusted. As you know, I am a strong crusader of two-axis pitch adjustment on every rig that incorporates an arm and vest, as I feel that even a slight imbalance in arm pitch will be a major fatigue factor.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #8
Major Player

Got you. Good point
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:43 AM   #9
Major Player

Downloaded theyr "3NewSteadicamFliers.pdf". You can clearly see the diference between the VECTOR and the CLIPPER. The FLYER is also well adjusted.
You're right Charles P., the CLIPPER is way off! It seems like the guy is using his left arm also to hold the rig in place - so the post is lean to his left side because of the hard grip...
Old May 7th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #10
Wrangler

I brought this up in the course of other conversation with the powers that be & apparently it was a slip-up that wasn't detected in time before NAB. My guess is that this particular image won't be seen again, while the Flyer and Vector stills probably will be around for a while.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)