steadicam vs. glidecam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 17th, 2002, 03:05 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I've had a JR for about 10 years now, and although I haven't used it in awhile, I was always able to get amazing results from it.

By the way, the gimball on mine finally broke. Anyone know who to contact for repairs?
Bradley Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 10:04 AM   #17
Wrangler

Tiffen has taken over the Steadicam license from Cinema Products. Check their website at steadicam.com, or call 800-645-2522.

I replaced my gimbal years ago, as I recall it was surprising inexpensive. They just send you a new assembly that you screw right on.
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:15 PM   #18
Slash Rules!

I've heard that with any of these type of rigs, you need the weight belt/vest or your arms will fall off after about five minutes. Untrue?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:24 PM   #19
Wrangler

Depends on the camera used, Josh. The JR, for instances, is designed for cameras 4 lbs and under. The lighter the camera, the less weight added for balance at the bottom and thus the system becomes easier to hold for extended periods.

The XL1, being 6 or 7 lbs, requires a couple of pounds of counterweight--using it on a simple pole-type device like a Steadytracker would mean a lot of weight in that hand. Your forearm and wrist start to sting like a motherf***er. On the other hand, given a vest/arm suspension system, you can wear the thing almost indefinitely, much longer than one can handhold it comfortably (as is being discussed in another thread here).
Old July 18th, 2002, 03:35 PM   #20
Slash Rules!

Yes correct exactly. But, can you make a vest or something? I know the systems that come with them are like 3000 dollars.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:15 PM   #21
Wrangler

A whole subculture of homebuilt stabilizer folks are out there--try http://homebuiltstabilizers.just.nu/ for starters. It really depends on how much time & energy you want to exert. The real critical parts are the gimbal and arm.

I tried building a version some seventeen years ago; spent many, many hours on it and I can't say as it worked all that well. These guys seem to have improved on my design substantially!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)