magiqcam - new gimbal - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #31
Major Player

i have send john the clip but from his last mail i don't think he receive it. out of 10 of my mail, he only say he receive one or two. i'll send him another mail on this.
another thing is, now he want me to send the whole rig back for replacement but the shipping would be on me. i just can't afford it (cost about US$350.00). really stress me out.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:11 AM   #32
Major Player

That is a lot of money. Ed, You could always get a second opinion from a steadicam operator in your country of resident to get their opinion and also to prove me wrong or right. Then you can either send just the gimbal instead of the whole rig.
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #33
Major Player

not many over here but i did show it to one owner of a steadicam efp rig (i used to rent rig from him). he only said something is not right with the gimbal as it keep turning to the right. he said that the arm is working almost at it limit. reason being, he find it difficult rising the arm when flying it and my camera weight on 5kg plus. he also says that the docking plate is tilted, which shouldn't be in the first place.
one thing though, he was very impressed with the workmanship and the price i paid for the rig.

ed
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:58 AM   #34
Major Player

Good, at least someone agrees with my optopsy. :)

Well, regardless of the docking bracket, it is still the gimbal that needs more attention. The docking bracket is the least of your problems. You can make your own if the need be. Just make your gimbal your top priority at the moment as this is the goblin causing the problem.

The rest can always be retified by yourself with some HB tactics ;)
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:23 AM   #35
Major Player

thank you for the note. i'll wait for john to reply. will let you know what he have to say. really stress me out sometime just thinking, when will i be able to earn back the investment i have put in the rig.

ed
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #36
Wrangler

Ed:

Yes, I would have to agree with Charles about the gimbal based on your video. If it balances in one direction, it should be balanced 180 degrees panned.
Old November 10th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #37
Major Player

finally, john reply with a good news. he ask me to send sled and docking station back for replacement instead of the whole rig. will be senting it tomorrow. he promise to replace it with a new sliding gimbal. once the new sled comes in, i will post some pics.
also, not to forget. thank you all especially charles p and charles k for the help.

ed
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #38
Major Player

No problem. Glad he finally decided to give in. Good move on his part to replace it with a sliding gimbal too. I personally don't like the stationary gimbal as it is not as flexible as a movable one. In short it is more precise.

Personally, a movable gimbal is the best way to go. Good luck Ed.
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:30 PM   #39
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : No problem. Glad he finally decided to give in. Good move on his part to replace it with a sliding gimbal too. I personally don't like the stationary gimbal as it is not as flexible as a movable one. In short it is more precise.

Personally, a movable gimbal is the best way to go. Good luck Ed. -->>>

Dear Charles King,

May I ask what is a movable gimbal?

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #40
Major Player

Hi Leigh. When I meant a movable gimbal, I meant that the gimbal can be adjusted by moving the gimbal itself, up or down the post, when finding the CG.
In case of the Magiqcam, it's gimbal is fixed at a point on the post. To find the CG or balance the rig, you need to either extend the post above the gimbal or extend the post below the gimbal. Or contract the post.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #41
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : Hi Leigh. When I meant a movable gimbal, I meant that the gimbal can be adjusted by moving the gimbal itself, up or down the post, when finding the CG.
In case of the Magiqcam, it's gimbal is fixed at a point on the post. To find the CG or balance the rig, you need to either extend the post above the gimbal or extend the post below the gimbal. Or contract the post. -->>>

Hi Charles King,

Thanks for the explaination.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:41 AM   #42
Major Player

No problem.
Old November 12th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #43
Major Player

charles k,
would be nice to have the sliding gimbal. only wish is that to have better luck this time and get a working part. will wait and see. anyway, promise to have some pic of the new part as soon as i receive it.
thanks again.

ed
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #44
Major Player

I know you would definately like the sliding gimbal compared to the one you had before. The only way to understand what I mean is to wait and see. I think you'll agree. Then again it's all about personal taste.

Looking forward to those pics Ed.
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #45
Trustee

Sure, a sliding gimbal is the way to go, you will love it! The only bad thing, is that you already waited a long time to receive your rig, and now, you have to wait again.. :-/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)