Five different stabilizer reviews at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Five different stabilizer reviews

Well, I've just finished putting together several short reviews of the following systems:

• Steadicam G40
• Glidecam’s X-22 & up n’coming X-45
• Easy steady’s Light N’ Go
• L'AIGLE
• ABC’s G-Force Advanced

Hope the review is helpful in some way.

Review
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks!

I'm sort of eyeing up what my next rig might be. From your review, it looks like I might be better off with a used Steadicam brand rig as my next step.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Merlin Advice

Note: Meant for this to be new post..

I am looking to purchase a Stedicam and looks my budget will only support the Merlin and the ArmVestpack. I have the XHA1. I know this camera is close to limit on the Merlin by itself...Will the vestpack help in this respect?
John Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ray View Post
I am looking to purchase a Steadicam and looks my budget will only support the Merlin and the ArmVestpack. I have the XHA1. I know this camera is close to limit on the Merlin by itself...Will the vestpack help in this respect?
No, the Merlin gimbal determines the weight limit. The same arm goes up to 10 pounds with the Steadicam Pilot.

My opinion, FWIW, the Steadicam Pilot-AA is a little more than the Merlin/Arm/Vest combo, but it makes a huge difference having the monitor down low on the bottom. You can walk forward with the lens pointing back. You can switch from pointing the lens forward, back, or anywhere in betwwen in the same shot. Basically, no matter where you point the lens, you can see the monitor.

Pointing the lens back over your left shoulder is really important - it allows you to walk in front of someone and see where you're going at the same time. For example, walking backward with a Merlin up stairs would be pretty dangerous, but with the Pilot, you can point the lens over your left shoulder, tilt the sled down to the angle of the stairs, and the monitor is right in line with your feet. Pointing the lens back over your left shoulder makes many other shots besides stairs better as well.

Some shots also work best when you walk forward and point the lens to the right - giving you a moving shot of a person's left profile. That also won't work with the Merlin - you can't see the monitor.

Current prices:
Pilot-AA: $3750
Steadicam | Pilot-AA Camera Stablization System | PILOT-AA | B&H
Merlin/Arm/Vest Combo: $2350
Steadicam | Merlin Camera Stabilizing System - with Arm and Vest
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Charles. Didnt know there was such a wide selection of the higher payload rigs.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Thanks Charles. Didnt know there was such a wide selection of the higher payload rigs.
No problem Sean. There are so many companies that offer higher paid Stabilizers but the problem has I stated is that most do not hit their mark when it comes to performance and options.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)