Use of W/A adaptors with stabilisers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 5th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Use of W/A adaptors with stabilisers

Having looked through many forums, I have not seen any postings regarding this, so apologies if I have missed them and am causing a repeat......

What are the general thoughts of using a wide-angle lens adaptor on your cameras prime lens when using a stabiliser?

Is it generally good enough to just use the wide setting on the cameras lens, or, does it increase the dramatic impact visually to go for the extra wide? - or, as I suspect, is it really down to what type of look is required for that particular shot, and therfore NOT to always have a W/A on lens.
Simon Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Simon, it’s usually recommended to use a wide-angle converter when using a stabilizer, as it helps to visually dampen any undesired movement caused by the stabilizer. For example, if you look at any skating videos shot with a fish eye converter, you can see that that the picture tends to appear smoother when the camera is moving. This is the same effect but on a lesser level.

Hope this helps(and makes sense) ;)
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #3
New Boot

Richard - thanks for that - it makes perfect sense!

I look forward to trying my unit out when it arrives......... (Animagique, Magicam II)
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, good luck with that. From what I’ve heard, you’re going to need it.
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #5
New Boot

I have had varying reports of them - but, when they work, they work!

I looked at a number of units from various places and received their demo DVD's, spent time reading peoples comments about them all, and spoken with people who use them.

I know one person in particular has not had such a good time with them, but I hope my experience is better! - watch this space!!
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Major Player

As said, it depends. The needs of teh shot should dictate which lense is used.

of course the wider the shot the less shake is showen, but that (OF COURSE) effects framing.
Also some wide angles distort the shot some.

One example that springs to mind is in "The Shining" during the final chase in the maze. It's shot with an extreme WA lense - for it's own reasons, but the shot works. But if you look carefully you can see that ther ei squite a lot of distortion in the shots - notice how Garrett (the operator) takes the corners very close the inside to minimise panning which whill be one of the things ot give away the use of a wide angle very quickly.

SO whatever it takes for the shot. - Try both and use what works best!

- Mikko
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #7
New Boot

Good one Mikko - I guess its like conventional shooting - you get a "feel" for what is required! :)
Simon Andrew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)