Darksides of MagiqCam Series IIa - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #16
Wrangler

Simon:

The Flyer is the first attempt I've seen where a small-format stabilizer can work along an upgrade path to a larger one; the arm mounting socket block is compatible via 6 screws with the full-size Steadicam vest (you swap socket blocks). This was to allow owners of big rigs to use the Flyer as a "running rig", while retaining their favorite vest.

This would be fairly easy to implement on other rigs. A 1.5" post wouldn't be too far out of the question either, but it would require retooling and redesign of the gimbal and other parts, which is significant.

Top stage compatibility is also really easy--4 screws.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #17
Trustee

Yes, the redesign would be a pain for the designer. However I believe that the effort would be worth it in the long run.

At present the Steadicam Flyer would only just be able to handle the weight of my camera, and it still costs more than the Magiqcam. I feel naked without my Glidecam! So I need a system that will support my current camera but not put me any more into bankruptcy than I am at the moment ;)

A modular Magiqcam would be just the ticket. Some of the MK-V parts are very reasonable in price IF they are bought on a bit by bit basis as one can afford each stage. Its just getting an initial usable base rig that is the problem.

No word as yet on the Glidecam V35. Most pictures out there are from NAB 2004! I wonder if it will ever be released.

At this rate I'm going to be so out of practise by the time I get a new rig!
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #18
Trustee

Hi Simon,

I manufacture stablizer and I see no point to make it modular. Low price rig to US$4,000 and a vest cost US$8,000. An arm cost another US$8,000. How you justified that?

If to make it modular, why not make it excellent performance to get more money?

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #19
Trustee

I don't understand fully what you are saying.

If a system is modular it means that a user doesn't have to fork out in one go for the expensive stuff. Their system can get better as they progress. The MK-V system would not be as successful as it is unless Steadicam users felt that the modular system was a good way of doing things.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #20
Trustee

Just a little update.

I just heard back from David Stevens at Glidecam. He said that the new V35 should be available in July.

The V35 is one sexy looking rig!
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:01 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
I don't understand fully what you are saying.

If a system is modular it means that a user doesn't have to fork out in one go for the expensive stuff. Their system can get better as they progress. The MK-V system would not be as successful as it is unless Steadicam users felt that the modular system was a good way of doing things.
I mean that it is not cost wise to implement that feature "modular" for manufacture and buyer. I would rather spend money and resource to improve the performance of my rig to compete with high end rig i.e Tiffer Steadicam Ultra and sell my rig inexpensive to the buyer and make it affordable. There is no point to sell a device A which demonstrate footstep shaking in the video and hope buyer in future progressively upgrade their device A to another manufacture's component B which single arm/or single vest brand new one will cost four times as device A which is the whole rig's price.

By the way, in stablizer business, second hand goods does not necessary translate to very cheap price. It still costs you an arm and a leg.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #22
Trustee

All I'll say is that if modular systems were of no use the MK-V system would not be as popular as it is.

Leigh, you seem to have something against Magiqcam. Any shakyness in a video is mainly down to the operator not the rig. You should know that.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Any shakyness in a video is mainly down to the operator not the rig. You should know that.
Hi Simon,

I don't think so.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Leigh, you seem to have something against Magiqcam.
I did not against any manufacture. I just suggest the feature which is important, which is not in my view.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
All I'll say is that if modular systems were of no use the MK-V system would not be as popular as it is.
May I ask you why you consider MK-V is more important than Steadicam? I think Mr. Brown invented Steadicam in 70s and should get some credit. I think Mr. Brown is brilliant. ;-)

Regards
Leigh
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
Hi Simon,

I don't think so.
You think that the rig is more important than the operator??
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
You think that the rig is more important than the operator??
Again, I don't think so.

I think both are very important. First the stablizer must be good and that is a must condition. Second great operator will make shooting an art and that requires the operator years of commitment.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Simon,

I don't think so.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh, I don't mean to "have a go", but you seem to want to answer all these questions as if you know what your talking about. You’re only new to the stabilizer business and your already challenging a professional camera operator. The same has been said to you over at SteadicamForum. Learn a bit more before you start to tell professionals what is right and what is wrong.

Anyway, I'm opting for a modular rig. I’m buying second hand and cheaper components and I will upgrade my system as finance allows.
Apart from vibration due to cheap machining, amongst other things, the majority of the cameras ability to isolate itself is drawn from the gimbal and the arm. Any other bits on the sled tend to just to help the erganomics.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lewis
Learn a bit more before you start to tell professionals what is right and what is wrong.
Hi Richard,

You are welcome to tell me anything I said is wrong or misleading. I am willing to learn from you.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
May I ask you why you consider MK-V is more important than Steadicam? I think Mr. Brown invented Steadicam in 70s and should get some credit. I think Mr. Brown is brilliant. ;-)
Yes he is brilliant. But brilliant though he is I'm not going to mention him in every post I make just because he invented it. His rigs are also rather on the expensive side and are difficult to order.

Second, I never said MK-V was more important than Steadicam. MK-V is fully Steadicam compatible and is in use very widely around the world. Those systems have a lot of respect. Further to this the Alien Revolution system developed by MK-V will possibly be the most important development in Steadicam design since the original Steadicam system itself.

As a customer who needs a new rig I'm looking at all the options. The Magiqcam looks great for the price. The Steadicam Flyer is too light for my needs, and the next model up is far to expensive. MK-V allows me to upgrade over time. However buying the full rig may still cost around the same as a full Steadicam system.

At the moment, assuming that the rumoured retail price is correct, I am more and more inclined to go for a Glidecam V35. From the specs I have seen it has full fore and aft arm adjustment, a two stage arm based on the Gold series design, but with new mods, and a really nice looking sled with adjustable monitor angle and internal wiring. Looks to me like it will be the best bang for the buck at this stage. I hope it lives up to expectation.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)