Darksides of MagiqCam Series IIa - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #31
Wrangler

Might be worth mentioning that the MK-V kit is compatible with earlier generations of Steadicam gear, but not with much of the recent line, which has been designed as a single unit which locks out most 3rd party gear. The PRO (GPI) gear is also compatible with much of the earlier Steadicam stuff. Some things have stayed pretty constant, such as the arm mounting socket block (for full size rigs), but posts now come in 1.5", 1.75" and 2" sizes depending on manufacturer, etc etc.

Even a 1.5" post is probably overkill for a 5 lb camcorder, however.

In a sense I think I do agree with Leigh that compatibility is not an issue for a large percentage of users of this level of gear--if they do not see themselves moving to 2/3" cameras or film gear larger than a stripped down SR2, they would probably be better off with a system that is designed efficiently for just that smaller weight class, and is as cost-effective as possible.

Leigh, I think that it's a good thing that you are focusing on making your rig vibration-free. However, to expand on Simon's point, a good operator can hide the inadequacies of a flawed rig, and yes, a bad operator may somehow find a way to make an acceptable rig look bad.

Years ago I field-tested the Master Elite system when it was just becoming available. I had a sit-down with Garrett where I pointed out the issues I had with various facets of the design, which included vibration in the stage that was causing me issues with the footage. Garrett met most of my points with "huh--I haven't found that to be the case". Finally, I suggested that his level of expertise and years of overcoming issues with prototypes were likely to smooth over things that were stumbling blocks for me. He conceded that this could easily be true.

Many of Garrett's shots in "The Shining" are still stunning to this day. However, that prototype Model 2 was, by today's standard, a near-junker and would likely not produce good results in the average operator's hands. I've always loved the Aston Martin DB5 (from the old Bond movies), but I hear that it's a bitch to drive if you are used to modern vehicles.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #32
Trustee

Hi Simon,

I did not mean to be offensive to you.

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
Yes he is brilliant. But brilliant though he is I'm not going to mention him in every post I make just because he invented it. His rigs are also rather on the expensive side and are difficult to order.

Second, I never said MK-V was more important than Steadicam. MK-V is fully Steadicam compatible and is in use very widely around the world. Those systems have a lot of respect. Further to this the Alien Revolution system developed by MK-V will possibly be the most important development in Steadicam design since the original Steadicam system itself.

As a customer who needs a new rig I'm looking at all the options. The Magiqcam looks great for the price. The Steadicam Flyer is too light for my needs, and the next model up is far to expensive. MK-V allows me to upgrade over time. However buying the full rig may still cost around the same as a full Steadicam system.

At the moment, assuming that the rumoured retail price is correct, I am more and more inclined to go for a Glidecam V35. From the specs I have seen it has full fore and aft arm adjustment, a two stage arm based on the Gold series design, but with new mods, and a really nice looking sled with adjustable monitor angle and internal wiring. Looks to me like it will be the best bang for the buck at this stage. I hope it lives up to expectation.
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
However, to expand on Simon's point, a good operator can hide the inadequacies of a flawed rig, and yes, a bad operator may somehow find a way to make an acceptable rig look bad.
Hi Charles,

I agree with that. But do need lots of effort.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #34
Major Player

great debate guys. everything still comes down to this, you get what you pay.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #35
Trustee

Indeed. Although looking at the V35 you might just get a little bit more than what yyou pay, equipment wise. We shall see. Suffice to say I'm very excited! On many shoots I have done in the past a stablising device has really meant a big screen look on a low budget. I'm very keen to get back into the swing of things and up my game somewhat, except on slightly larger budgets :)

Its a shame that Glidecam don't run workshops in the UK, although there was one guy a while ago who was thinking of setting some up.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)