Exercise feedbacks for steadicam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:45 PM   #16
Trustee

I agree with what Mikko said.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

This has been a great thread (thanks so much Quoc)to read as l have noticed the same problems with my skill with the Flyer so it's great to see a visual that you can connect with and then to read the feedback from people like Charles etc. on what to do to quickly resolve the problems in the real world situations (eg. setting up for the shot).

A question for the likes of Charles, Mikko & Tom.

I have a 20 yr background in drumming and the theory was always
"practise slow and precise and the speed will come"
Is it the same with a Steadicam, in that there are pyhsical skills that we have to learn are new to our body so it's repetition, repetition, repetition. Or am l way off track????

Andrew P.
Andrew Pascoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #18
Major Player

Andrew,
Yes steadicam is a steep learning curve at first. It normally takes a few years to become fully "proficiant" with the rig physically. - During which time all the mental parts begin to develop too.
Eventualy the physical aspects become 2nd nature for 'normal' operating (untill someones throws a screwy shot at you to shoot...)

The mental development of operating does not apear to stop.
One rather tall fellow we know, who's been at this for a while, seems to still always be pondering something.

We never stop learning.

With that I'll pass off to Charles who can tell us his perspective after considerably more years operating...

- Mikko
Old January 24th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #19
Wrangler

Yes and yes to all.

The immediate tendency for new operators is to rush around with the rig on doing energetic bits of business. In fact, it's a lot easy to get apparently smooth shots the faster one moves with the rig on. However the large majority of Steadicam shots involve slow movements and holds at least part of the time, and as Andrew suggested, slow and precise will lead the way to the other speeds. I observed many times at the workshops that a student who felt they had gotten the hang of simply walking forwards between two points would be reduced to a sweaty, panting mess after being asked to do the same thing at 1/4 speed, much to their surprise.

So yes, slow and steady with plenty of repetition is the way to go, and don't forget to practice those lockoffs--not very sexy but very much a part of daily operating (just came off a series where 1-2 minute lockoffs were a way of life)
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM   #20
Major Player

Quoc,

One possible solution to the panning...My rig (Indicam) has to have the tilt bolts not cinched down too tight. I found that if they are overly tightened they put a bind on the gimbal bearing which causes it to pan on it's own a bit. I don't know if you can over tighten the tilt bolts on the Flyer so this might be usless information.

Also, if my rig isn't dynamically balanced correctly I can get some panning action going as well.

I hope this helps.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Terry, the bearings on my gimbal were defective, Tiffen changed them and I don't have this problem anymore.

Regards,
Quoc
Quoc Peyrot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)