Nebula 4000 lite - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 14th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Nebula 4000 lite

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and so far, under limited use, I can say that I'm satisfied with my purchase. I have had limited time to fully use or test it.

Here are a couple of 'unlisted' YouTube links where I used the handheld gimbal. These are simple shots. A BJJ belt gauntlet. The footage is not edited or corrected for software stabilization. It handles very well.

1st video shot in APS-C mode

My setup was simple. The Sony A7S with Sony 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss prime. Here is a Flickr link to how it looks on the Nebula 4000 Lite: https://www.flickr.com/photos/friedom/15762117248

It works very well once balanced. I haven't had the time to adjust the PID settings to fully customize the gimbals and I anticipate even better performance once set to my subjective preference. I've been hellbent on finding a solution to enable the use of my SmallHD DP4 monitor and the biggest hurdle has been an HDMI cable that fits while balanced on the Nebula 4000 Lite. I'm on my 3rd attempt of the XProHeli MicroHDMI to HDMI ribbon cable. The first was defective. The second was my mistake; MicroHDMI to MicroHDMI. The third is in my bag waiting to be tested.

Another note, it comes with a hard plastic case that really feels cheap and flimsy. It's something I plan on replacing with a Pelican case. Oh, be sure to turn OFF "Auto" monitor/viewfinder. If on Auto, the sensor on the viewfinder will pick up the Nebula and turn off the monitor during use. Pretty obvious thing, but just a FYI just in case. I actually purchased the Sony 35mm prime explicitly for its Autofocus capabilities on the A7S in anticipation of receiving the Nebula 4000. I have been manually focusing all of my lenses, prior to the Sony 35mm, since I have owned the A7S. I'm personally impressed with how well the Autofocus works on the A7S. It looks to be center point only and in the two videos I provided you can tell when my subject is off center, it seems to focus on objects in the rear.
John Friedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

Just for interest I bought the Feiyu G3 for my action cams and in practice at a wedding it was worse than hopeless .. I burnt my bridges and had already sold my steadycam rig as it was just too heavy so I ended up well and truly in the dung!!
I sold the g3 on eBay, lost a bit on the deal and bought a lighter stedicam vest, arm and sled which is really great again.

It's just my opinion but I think these units are simply too technically accurate and they attempt to make lots of minute adjustments (especially in a bit of wind at outdoor weddings) and that translates into footage shudder which makes for totally unusable video. Their movements IMHO need to be dampened so they ignore tiny movement and only correct (gradually) camera movement.

Go on a beach with lumpy sand and a stiff breeze and it goes crazy!! Sorry but unless you are in perfect conditions I feel that these just don't work for weddings (maybe indoors at the reception?)

I'm back on stedicam and it looks great again!!

Chrid
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Major Player

John - thanks for your input. I'm going to fly my Sony a600 on it when it comes rather than my A7S. With weddings I can't be having to mount cameras on/off so the a600 will stay on it permanently. I'll revert back to steadicam with the A7S for low light first dance.

Still waiting though - getting pretty pissed off. Ordered 20 days ago. According to DHL tracking number it has not yet reached their hands in Hong Kong...

I'm getting the run around I fear!
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I saw a recent post from filmpower.com, on their Twitter feed, that they have a limited amount and sold out of their first batch. Dan Chung of newsshooter.com received his a while back too. They are slowly getting the product out. There is definitely a language barrier but I really believe that they are committed to all of their orders. I have communicated with the sellers by phone and email and they were quick to respond each time.

I think that's an excellent idea you have about keeping the A6000 always mounted. The A6000 seems a little lighter and smaller which I think will suit it better than the A7 series.

It's still been a short time since I have owned the Nebula 4000 Lite, but I'm happy to have it in my "kit"
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #20
Major Player

Yea John, I have high hopes. I've only had the a6000 for a week and used it on one job (shooting a live music event). I am very surprised by the little beast. And the continuous autofocus looks really good. I'm keen to see if the autofocus can be trusted on steadycam work.

In fairness though, with the sensor size, combines with an aperture of f5.6, on a wide lens - I don't think the autofocus can get it THAT wrong. I'll hardly be shooting shallow!
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Clive

On my EA-50's that have an APSC sensor I use a 10mm lens and leave it at F5.6 but I simply set the focus ring to 0.7m which is between 2 to 3 ' and the DOF extends from 2' right to infinity so I don't need to touch the camera .. I have never had any focus issues on my stedicam but I do make sure I stay at least one pace away from the couple.

You could quite easily leave the camera in manual focus. At least you ten know that the AF won't try and hunt for focus which you don't want to happen

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I added a YouTube video with some more clips from my first use of the Nebula 4000 Lite.

Old December 22nd, 2014, 08:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi John, Just got mine. Really quite impressed with the build quality and feel of it. I've got it working to an extent but feel the motors struggling at times so I'm guessing theres more tweaking to be done.

One question - when I turn it on, it decides that 'foward' is not quite in line with the handle, but rather about 10/20degrees anticlockwise of forward. I can't figure out how or what adjusts this?
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:28 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I wish I could help with a suggestion. I have yet to run the software to fine tune any settings, and after messing around with I'm starting to develop an idea of what I want to adjust. I can tell you that while using when I pan the camera, sometimes I push it back to where I want it because I'll lose what I consider the center point based on the grip. If you figure out a personal solution please follow up with a post. Would love to know.

Edited:
In the YouTube instruction video it shows where you can press the button 5 times to calibrate back to center. You have to lay the grip on a flat surface just like it shows in the video. That should solve the issue you describe.
see here:

Last edited by John Friedman; December 22nd, 2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: instructions for calibrating back to center
Old December 22nd, 2014, 05:51 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Would it be possible to mount this on a monopod?
Don Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:40 PM   #26
Major Player

Don - The base of the handle is threaded for both 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 so yes.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:41 PM   #27
Major Player

Also - for anyone else interested, Dave Dugdale has just put up a video about this model.

Old December 28th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I've been using the Nebula 4000 lite for a few days now with the Sony a6000 and 16mm lens. Liking it a lot, though I have yet to get it really fine tuned for balance - trying to get it balanced with a Really Right Stuff L bracket and quick release clamp.

One small thing I don't like about the Nebula 4000 is the cheap case it comes in. . Has anyone found a good alternative yet like a Pelican or Storm case?
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Friedman View Post
I wish I could help with a suggestion. I have yet to run the software to fine tune any settings, and after messing around with I'm starting to develop an idea of what I want to adjust. I can tell you that while using when I pan the camera, sometimes I push it back to where I want it because I'll lose what I consider the center point based on the grip. If you figure out a personal solution please follow up with a post. Would love to know.

Edited:
In the YouTube instruction video it shows where you can press the button 5 times to calibrate back to center. You have to lay the grip on a flat surface just like it shows in the video. That should solve the issue you describe.
see here: Nebula4000 Lite User Manual [3-Axis Gyroscope Stabilizer] - YouTube
This is the main reason I don't like this gimbal. On many of the other two hand held gimbals have a joy stick by which you can make a roll and pitch adjustment just by touching the Joystick a tad. My little Z-One Pro gimbal for my GoPro has both of these features.
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mizomi View Post
I've been using the Nebula 4000 lite for a few days now with the Sony a6000 and 16mm lens. Liking it a lot, though I have yet to get it really fine tuned for balance - trying to get it balanced with a Really Right Stuff L bracket and quick release clamp.

One small thing I don't like about the Nebula 4000 is the cheap case it comes in. . Has anyone found a good alternative yet like a Pelican or Storm case?
I have been looking myself, . There is also the Nanuk Case's Nanuk Cases - Walmart.com

And then there is the option of buying a hard shelled suit case, (Cheaper) They even come with roller wheels.
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)