Nebula 4000 lite - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 5th, 2015, 02:40 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Nebula 4000 lite

Could one of you guys tell me how easy it is to attach the a7s to the nebula? I plan on getting one for weddings to replace my sgeadicam but would mean putting it on and removing it quite quickly and regularly.
David Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #32
Trustee

attaching & balancing and camera would be similar to the steadicam you're using - the best methos would be to use a quick release plate - I'll be getting a small one as my manfrotto is a bit on the large side.
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:49 AM   #33
Major Player

Hi David,
It can be done, but for your requirement I'd suggest a QR plate so you don't have to rebalance every time you mount.

I'm also doing weddings, but I'm (for now planning to mount a Sony a6000 on it permanent. That way I don't need to wrestle with mounting. If you are like me and your steady shots are brief and infrequent you might find the a6000 footage is adequate in daylight.

Also, the a7s only works with a light lens combo.

Unfortunately my Nebula has stopped functioning properly. Looks like a sensor malfunction and I will need a replacement.

As a result, I never got to investigate A7S options thoroughly. Only to say that my a7s plus metabones plus canon 35mm f2 was too front heavy to work on the Nebula.

I was going to try the Sony 16-50mm on it and use APS-C mode. But will have to wait till i get the problem fixed.

Dave Dugdale has a series of videos on the Nebula and has successfully flown the a7s plus metabones plus a Voigtlander lens.
Clive McLaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #34
Regular Crew

thanks Chris. I do a fair amount of gliding at night so I think I'd need to use the a7s but yes I did intend on using a QR which is what I do now. I just didnt know if you need screwdrivers etc to get the housing apart to release the camera from the QR?

Lens options are certainly limited at the moment...
Old January 7th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #35
Major Player

Just an update. Had to return my Nebula 4000. They are sending me a replacement. It was working fine, but suddenly it stopped working and SimpleBGC software said the sensor was not connected. Everything looked fine on the connections and circuitry.

I'm hoping it was just bad luck as I was really happy with the results even before I got to fine tune the PID settings.

Anyone else bought one?

Dave Dugdale is doing some great detailed stuff on it.

Trying to Setup the Nebula 4000 Lite 3-Axis Gimbal
Example Footage from the 3-Axis Gimbal Nebula4000 Lite
Nebula 4000 Lite Comprehensive Review
Old January 13th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Hi Clive, I actually had cold sweats reading your description of the fault as it reminded me of when I spent almost 6 months trying to tune 1, then a second, then a third gimbal for one of my aerial platforms and I had the same error repeatedly. In the end I gave up and vow'd never to touch the SimpleBGC software again. Damn you Nebula for grabbing my interest again..
Old January 15th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I went through the same tthing with a CameTV 7000, Royal pain in the ass! I just got a AllSteady Pro 5 from Turboace, I have used it about 5 times now and removed the camera and remounted a couple of times with no rebalance issues (5 Minutes). It works very well. Have not even looked at the software, don't think I will need to either, unless I have to recalibrate it due to it being moved around a lot when traveling..
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #38
Trustee

you can get a connection error or a "wrong firmware version error that isn't the gimbal - you may need a software driver to simulate a com port - CP210x VCP (virtual com port)
Old January 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #39
Major Player

The problem seems to be getting a 4000Lite. I've looked at all the Chinese sites, plus I spoke with Filmpower, and everyone is on backlog waiting for shipments. I've ordered from Hobby Wow in China that sort of showed the earliest delivery but they now emailed and said shipping is delayed until next week.

I'm an engineer and can work through all the balance and servo issues, and so spoiled with 3 axis gimbals with a gopro, I want to move this capability up to heavier cameras. I have a trip/shoot starting January 24. Anyone know how to get a 4000Lite before then?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #40
Major Player

Deal direct. AT least I assume this is direct. Weird that it doesn't have film power in the domain name though. But this is them.

Nebula 3-Axis Gyroscope Stablilzer home
Old January 15th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #41
Major Player

I'm getting a replacement model, which was shipped yesterday. Stock is there. Maybe I bumped the queue though to keep me happy?
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
Deal direct. AT least I assume this is direct. Weird that it doesn't have film power in the domain name though. But this is them.

Nebula 3-Axis Gyroscope Stablilzer home
Thanks for the direct link. When I click through on this site to order it is with Filmpower in San Francisco. I already spoke with them and they don't have stock.
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #43
Major Player

The address in San Francisco is a simple residental house. It's where I sent my faulty one too. Can't imagine that that's the main place. Maybe an address that gets occassional stock sent just to serve the american market. But the main outfit is definately Hong Kong. Hong Kong is where my original was shipped from, and my replacement too. Ordered through the site I linked.
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive McLaughlin View Post
The address in San Francisco is a simple residental house. It's where I sent my faulty one too. Can't imagine that that's the main place. Maybe an address that gets occassional stock sent just to serve the american market. But the main outfit is definately Hong Kong. Hong Kong is where my original was shipped from, and my replacement too. Ordered through the site I linked.
Yes, because you are in Europe your browser links to a Hong Kong office. Because I'm in North America my browser links to a San Francisco office (a house). I expect the company itself is in Shenzhen, China.
Old January 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #45
Sponsor: Camera Motion Research

Camera Motion Research is now shipping the Nebula 4000.

Rich Greb
CMR
Camera Motion Research - Camera Stabilization and Wireless HD Video
Rich Greb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)