FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 27th, 2015, 01:33 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: FeiYu FY-G4 3 or Nebula 4000 lite.

Ah ok, I hadn't seen you mention this here before, which 3 axis gimbal did you get for a while, the Nebula?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Was it filmpower that gave you that answer?
Noa, go a very short reply form Filmpower this morning,
and they say...

"hi ,nebula4000 can worked with gopro .thanks
------------------
Angelica Tsao"

So, according to them the GoPro will work with it.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #18
Inner Circle

I did not test this so don't know but I know a user who has a Nebula, I will mail him to see if he can find out.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
...and if you just want to have one gimbal stabiliser you can use for a camera like a rx10 and a gopro you could add a rx10 onto the gimbal and mount the gopro on top of the rx10?
That's an option I didn't think off Noa :) ... good idea.

I can't see me really needing to use the two stabilizers at the one time and that's why I thought if one stabilizer like the Nebula could do both.
That idea of yours would mean you could use "both cameras, ...at the same time" :)

Thanks Noa.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
I did not test this so don't know but I know a user who has a Nebula, I will mail him to see if he can find out.
Thank you Noa, I don't want you going to any bother.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
That's an option I didn't think off Noa :)
That idea of yours would mean you could use "both cameras, ...at the same time" :)
And if the lens of the rx10 would appear in the gopro image you could use a hotshoe extender to move the gopro further forward, since that camera weighs next to nothing that should not cause any issues with balancing.

About the Nebula being able to support a gopro, I just want to know if filmpower's claim is accurate, since I have not been able to find such a uservideo back online it might be interesting for other users to find out if a gopro only could be used.

The feiyu is only interesting if you need a very small and light gimbal, like when you are traveling and just want to take a minimum amount of gear with you.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:37 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
... I just want to know if filmpower's claim is accurate,.
I would have liked a bit more detail in their reply to my email.
I've ask them again and this time I've ask them if they are 100% sure the GoPro can be used with the Nebula 4000 lite.

So, we'll see what they say this time.
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Nope it was the FeiYu again that I was using with my SJ4000 camera so it's the GoPro version.. I replaced the 2 axis one after you told me that it would struggle going sideways and you were correct. However it still wasn't good on rough terrain at all ! I have a very lightweight Weildy stedicam rig and the vest, arm and sled all up are less than 10kg (minus the camera of course) It's really nice to use!

I actually liked the DJ Ronin the best but at 4.25kg without a camera I could seriously see an arm fatigue issue!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:19 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
So, we'll see what they say this time.
If you want to use a smarthphone on the nebula there is a special mount included to hold that phone but not for a gopro. I had answer from that other user that he didn't test either but doubt it was possible because a gopro had virtually no weight for the Nebula to balance.

We have to give the supplier the benefit of the doubt but if there are no user videos to confirm this and there are no images on the suppliers website that show a gopro mounted then it would be weird if it was possible.

I do believe the Nebula is not the tool to use a gopro only on and you should use smaller gimbals, like the feiyu, which come prebalanced, but if the supplier advertises that this works he has to back this up with footage. On filmpowers website it also says it's suited for a gopro but I wonder why no image of the stabilizer with a gopro is shown.
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
I had answer from that other user that he didn't test either but doubt it was possible because a gopro had virtually no weight for the Nebula to balance.

I do believe the Nebula is not the tool to use a gopro only on and you should use smaller gimbals, like the feiyu, which come prebalanced, .
I wouldn't know but would think trying to get the GoPro to work with the Nebula might be more bother than its worth.
The FY-G4 looks as if its the better way to go this time.

Thank you all for your advice.
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Mark

I notice that all your shots are either static or straight ahead .. Have you done any shots where you go around a subject in a 360 degree circle and suchlike stedicam shots? I sold my gimbal because it simply failed miserably when I went up to a wedding couple and then did a "roundie round" sweep of them .. it jumped and staggered badly. Also you are on a smooth ground surface .. I had massive issues walking on lumpy sand like a beach .. the unit overcompensated for my body motion even in a straight line ..it was fine on grass but didn't like uneven and soft surfaces like beach sand! I went back to a mechanical stedicam after that because I need camera movements that use circling of an object/person and obviously something that can handle uneven terrain

Chris
At 2:20 in this video, there is a complete 360-degree circle using a 3-axis gimbal. This also has still and walking shots:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Nope it was the FeiYu again that I was using with my SJ4000 camera so it's the GoPro version..
I"m surprised the sj4000 fits as it is thicker then the gopro, where the screws long enough to tighten the sj4000 onto the cage?

Quote:
However it still wasn't good on rough terrain at all ! I have a very lightweight Weildy stedicam rig and the vest, arm and sled all up are less than 10kg (minus the camera of course) It's really nice to use!
You are comparing a stabilizer that fits in your pocket with a 10kg plus steadicam with vest/camera. For such a mini stabilizer I think it does well enough but you really can't expect it to be a real steadicam replacement, with some post stabilization you can get good results like this:

Old May 27th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #28
Major Player

Sorry didn't get back sooner. I bought it on EBay was an auction and I guess I was lucky. I did panic a bit encase it was a scam but all worked out good.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
...Iwith some post stabilization you can get good results like this:
]
That's look great Noa, very well done. Love your choice of music.
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Noa

Quite correct for anyone wanting to use an SJ4000 on the gimbal. You need to take a trip to your local hardware store and buy longer screws as the supplied ones just make it to the thread! Sadly I also had to carry a small jeweller's screwdriver with me too as I couldn't find any thumbscrews that size but it wasn't a big issue at all .... Apart from that they work well with the SJ400 but sadly the mount at the back blocks the LCD screen so I bought an all in one 2.5" LCD monitor and mounted it on the back motor ..worked very well and you can see what you are filming.

Yes, they are so convenient!! I had the entire kit fitting into a small Pelican case ...so definitely pocket sized!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)