Best way to shoot this.....Steadicam or Gyro Stabalizer DS1 Beholder or PilotFly H2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Best way to shoot this.....Steadicam or Gyro Stabalizer DS1 Beholder or PilotFly H2

I have a client who wants to create a video similar to this one: (specifically the actual singing parts and violin parts; moving camera)

The shots are really clean. I have a Glidecam 4000 pro that is pretty old, and I am pondering getting the Beholder DS1 or Pilotfly H2..........or something else?

What would your suggestions be for creating similar moving shots (filmed with a Canon 5D).

Thanks!

P.S. Looks like some sort of steadicam at 1:55
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best way to shoot this.....Steadicam or Gyro Stabalizer DS1 Beholder or PilotFly

If you already have a Glidecam, then use it. Unless you want an excuse to buy a handheld gimbal stabilizer.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Best way to shoot this.....Steadicam or Gyro Stabalizer DS1 Beholder or PilotFly

The Glidecam 4000 pro is about 10 years old and now that I am using DSLR mainly to shoot, I was wondering if there are any benefits to the new stabilizers out there?

Specifically if the results are good with a prime lens with no IS (glidecam 4000 is only a 2 axis gimbal and does not reduce jitters completely)
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
The Glidecam 4000 pro is about 10 years old and now that I am using DSLR mainly to shoot, I was wondering if there are any benefits to the new stabilizers out there?
And Steadicams are still used on most major films despite being invented in the '70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
Specifically if the results are good with a prime lens with no IS (glidecam 4000 is only a 2 axis gimbal and does not reduce jitters completely)
It does reduce jitters if used by a skilled operator.
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

It looks great with IS but not quite perfect without it - at least at my skill level.

What about the gimbal stabilizers? Do they work good without IS lenses?
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Yes, the Movi and Ronin are used extensively with cameras with PL mount lenses. They do a great job.

It sounds like you want me to tell you that a gimbal stabilizer is better than a Glidecam. I'm not going to do that. I think that in the right hands, a Glidecam or Steadicam is a wonderful tool. The same goes for a gimbal stabilizer. Either one would work for the type of video you referenced. But not just anyone can pick one up and make a perfectly smooth video. The decision is yours.
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Major Player

I have had really great results with the Glidecam 4000 and larger cameras like the Sony Z1, Z5, etc

Maybe the Glidecam 4000 is too large for a DSLR
Old May 27th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Nope, the 4000 is fine for a DSLR. We have the XR-4000 (the updated 4000) that we fly a 60D on.

Here's an example:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDzCPPzP-TL/
Old May 27th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Major Player

It looks like they're using a Glidecam XR at about 1:56 in the video. There's your answer right there.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
If you already have a Glidecam, then use it. Unless you want an excuse to buy a handheld gimbal stabilizer.
What about shooting in windy conditions, a small glidecam is fine indoors or outdoors but becomes near useless outdoors when there is too much wind, a gimbal stabilizer will stay level no matter what.
Another advantage is better tilt and pan control, I can make moves that are either very difficult or just impossible to do with a small steadicam.

The main problem with these gimbal stabilizers is getting jitter out of the footage which is because of wrong parameters in the gimbal software so that means finetuning and a lot of testing until you get it right, only, I have not found any good tutorial that explains in detail what each setting exactly does and you need to know that before you start messing with the numbers.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Never having used one. But would a vest improve things?
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
What about shooting in windy conditions, a small glidecam is fine indoors or outdoors but becomes near useless outdoors when there is too much wind, a gimbal stabilizer will stay level no matter what.
Another advantage is better tilt and pan control, I can make moves that are either very difficult or just impossible to do with a small steadicam.

The main problem with these gimbal stabilizers is getting jitter out of the footage which is because of wrong parameters in the gimbal software so that means finetuning and a lot of testing until you get it right, only, I have not found any good tutorial that explains in detail what each setting exactly does and you need to know that before you start messing with the numbers.
I have never used any of the Gyro / Gimbal stabilizers but I am wondering if they need more time on the market to improve some of the problems that I hear about? I went to BH video and looked at the Beholder DS1 and there are a decent amount of people retuning that product. The Pilotfly H1 only has about 3.5 star rating in reviews with customers returning or disappointed in them. Hoping that the Pilotfly H2 will be better but its not available yet. Or maybe its the camera / lens set up that is not compatible with every stabilizer?
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #13
Major Player

so I have only used the Glidecam without a vest, no sure if the vest is a huge improvement or not. Have gotten spectacular results without the vest using cameras like the Sony Z1, Z5, Ex1r etc.

I may need to rebalance and clean the system since its not quite perfect for my DSLR, 5D right now
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I think any stabilizer would work for what you're looking to do - basically add some camera movement to a singer/musician who is mostly staying in one spot. But the benefit of the right gimbal with a lightweight camera/lens setup is you can hold it for a long time without tiring your hands/wrists. And without wearing bulky chest or arm additions.

I just shot an outside tutorial video where my camera guy pointed a Pilotfly H2 with a Canon XC10 on me for pretty much a whole day, no sweat. And no jitters. The H2 can take a higher load capacity (4.5lb) than other lightweight gimbals, but a 5D with a lens may be pushing close to that.

Mostly I've been using the Letus Helix Jr. with a C100 and 10-18mm or 18-135mm, and that combo is amazingly easy to use for long periods of time. Here's one music video where I used it for a similar reason as your music video, just add slight motion to a singer/musician.

But many gimbals are not that ergonomic and end up tiring you as much as a Glidecam, though it's your upper arm area that gets exhausted instead of your wrists. Which is why a few gimbal shooters now add an EasyRig to take the load off on longer shoots. I'd give the Helix Jr. a serious look first, and then the Pilotfly H2 or Nebula 4200 or Came-TV lightweight gimbals, depending on your camera/lens weight.

Cheers,
Slavik
Slavik Boyechko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #15
Major Player

Nice Work!

So the Pilotfly H2 has better ergonomics then some of the other gimbals out there?

I am just waiting for it to be available and see more test footage I guess. Sounds awesome so far though.

Unfortunately the Canon 5Diii on my Glidecam 4000 is heavy and hard on my back. Wish I had a lighter system. A large unit like that requires a lot of weight to keep it steady unfortunately is seems like. :(
Silas Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)