Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin... - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM   #151
Regular Crew

what settings did you use for your A1 Bubba do you remember?

do you recall the settings you used for the A1 handheld? Weights, Arc, Z, hole?
Michael Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM   #152
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I used to fly merlin handheld with FX1 and A1 lately, and I got really comfortable with it, I can re-setup merlin for the WA or oncamera light , or large battery very fast and get a perfect balance, I mean perfect, but that's handheld;
Now, I've got merlin arm and vest , and I've got EX1, and that's where things got complicated;
Before my main concern was weight of the camera, now it's inertia, I can't get rid of pendulum effect, as soon as Increase drop time the cam. goes completely out of the balance;
I understand that going from handheld to a full rig makes a big difference and takes a lot of practice, but I'm really thinking of getting a pilot sled;
Chris Witzke says that EX1 on merlin works nicely for him, not for me :-(

I need 90 seconds to get perfect balance with A1 on merlin, I can't even get close to that with EX1 for the last 4 days.
Chris? Mikko? Any advise?
Many thanks!
In order to get great balance with the ex1, I had every weight I had on the merlin.... the weights that came with the merlin, the weights came with the vest/arm, and the accessory plate on the bottom of the merlin.

I actually think the ex1 flys better than the fx1/z1 ( for me )... I feel that for the best stabilization one should put as much weight as the merlin can handle.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM   #153
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
In order to get great balance with the ex1, I had every weight I had on the merlin.... the weights that came with the merlin, the weights came with the vest/arm, and the accessory plate on the bottom of the merlin..
That's the same setup that I have, but I can't say ex1 flys better than FX1/A1 (of course for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
I feel that for the best stabilization one should put as much weight as the merlin can handle.
that's another reason I'm thinking about pilot sled;
After Matthew's post about merlin gimbal failure with HVR-A1U on it (3 times lighter than ex1) and I'm not surprised, my first melin fell apart the firs day http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103182

Don't get me wrong , Merlin is an awesome piece and worth every penny of it's price, it's just the EX1 is a bit over of Merlin's capacity.(IMHO)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM   #154
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Richard View Post
do you recall the settings you used for the A1 handheld? Weights, Arc, Z, hole?
Sorry Mike I don't have the A1 anymore to give you exact merlin settings, and I never right that down, as a base I took FX1 settings from the cookbook and with a little adjustments you ready to fly,
good luck!
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #155
New Boot

Sony Z1 vertical c.g. (centerof gravity) distance..

Hi guys,
As a newbie , I am trying out different weight settings and configurations with my Sony Z1 with the Merlin.
I have the stock standard Z1 with the NP F970 battery.
Questions do I put an extra middle weight on the nose with the starter weight ?
I have seen photo's with those and without.... 5 weights on the bottom or 6..
I have also the arm vest so it came with extra weights.

More importantly .... does anybody have a good vertical c.g. (center of gravity) Measurement so I can enter it on the spreadsheet formula !!??

I am having problems here.. ( I have read the manual, watched the dvd, trawled the net)...

Oh wise ones .. help me OBi One...
Ming Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #156
Major Player

Forget about the spread sheet/cookbook.
Put one finish weight on the "nose".
Open the arc all the way.
Add enough weights to the bottom until you get a drop time of around 2 secs.
Now fine tune the balance.
You should be good to go.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #157
New Boot

Hi Nick,
I know you have upgraded now .. but when you were flying the Z1 ( seen your making of 1% countless times !!) .. were you tweaking with your left or right hand .. as the arm was mounted on the left side .
I am right handed and have mounted the arm on the left side and operate on the right as it spreads the weight evenly ..
is this on the right path ?
Ming Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #158
Major Player

Hi Ming, Yes that's right. You have to operate the gimbal with the right hand, on the right hand side so you can view the monitor properly.
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:19 AM   #159
Regular Crew

Strongly considering getting a merlin and vest soon. Just wondering.. I'll be using a Canon XH-A1. I'll most likely add two UHF receivers and a wide angle adapter. How heavy is the Merlin? I'm not looking for exact numbers here, just a general idea. With the vest and arm that is. Also, how long can you wear one of these before you "have had enough"? Again, just looking for a general idea, or if someone wants to share personal experience. Thanks!
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #160
Regular Crew

I have an A1 and Merlin and don't have the vest. I can't image using this combination for very long without having the vest. It is quite heavy (the Merlin itself is not that heavy). I also have a Sony HC1 and that's that camera I use on the Merlin...handheld.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #161
Regular Crew

Merlin and remote Zoom control

I find the perfect match between the Merlin and video camera is with the DVC 30. I'm really happy with this combination. The DVC 30 is so well balanced and has just the right weight to use all day. Recently I was on a 2 1/2 day shoot and never felt fatigued... plus the moves are so much easier and smoother with the lighter weight and exceptional balance of the DVC 30.

I now want to get zoom control and have been looking at the Libec ZC-3DV. I see Mikko has used this controller (from a review I read at B & H) but I wonder if he was using the Libec on the Merlin.
I can see a problem mounting the Libec on the Merlin gimbal handle. My technique is to use my left hand for panning and tilting. If the Libec was up that high it would get in the way of the gimbal.
I was wondering if any Merlin users have solved the zoom control problem?
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #162
Regular Crew

Merlin and remote zoom controller

Or other zoom controllers?
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #163
Tourist

Have you considered the Varizoom controllers ? I plan to buy one and I'm pretty sure they will attach easily on the Merlin's handle, but I'm gonna use an arm and vest. Just handholding the Merlin may not help using the zoom controller properly.

I'm glad to find this board. I own a Merlin for a month now, and I'm getting better (and less frustrated) each time I try it. I'm using a DVX100A but I'm planning to fly an HVX in a near future. I don't have the 2000$ to buy the Steadicam vest and arm, so I'll go with the DVSportster from Varizoom. VariZoom Dv Sportster, Navigator arm for Steadicam Merlin, Glidecam 4000, 2000, FlowPod, Steadicam JR

So, here's a question: the arm-to-handle connector of the Varizoom arm is straight up. The one on the Steadicam arm is bended, allowing to remove most of the supporting fist out of the way of the guiding hand. Does anyone here knows if this part

Steadicam | 801-7290 Merlin Arm Post Kit | 801-7290 | B&H Photo

could be added to the Varizoom arm (with a little work), or is it only a replacement part for the Steadicam arm ?

That would be a perfect and affordable solution for me.

Eric
Eric Corriveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #164
Regular Crew

Yes I have tried the Varizoom Stealth LX on my XH -A1 but I find it too "touchy" in zoom control.
However just delivered today is my new Libec ZC-3DV zoom controller. In the handle of the Merlin there is a 1/2" hole which can accept a short length of pipe. The Libec clamps on to the pipe and voila! I now have zoom control. It works great. Once I get the time I'll post a picture.

I used the Merlin on my DVC 80 (same as the DVX 100 but without 24P) and found it to be OK. Now I have a DVC30 and it is so sweet with the Merlin. I find I can "jib" shots so much better and tilting is so smooth and controlled. I do a lot of run & gun work, much of it inside under available and relatively low light. The DVC 30 is perfect for these conditions. Now that I will be able to control zoom as well I anticipate getting some really great moves!

The Next Day
Unfortunately after trying the set up more I have come to the realization that it will never work properly. I mounted the Libec below the camera on the gimbal handle. It is possible to balance the set up to a certain extent but the pressure caused by the cable running up to the camera will constantly interfere with the balance ....as soon as you move or rotate the camera. Back to the drawing board!

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; September 25th, 2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Change comments
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #165
Tourist

I understand that the cable thing does not help. If you twist the cable on the upper spar, right in front of the stage, and find a way to attach it under the stage, do you think it could work ? Well... that cable thing when you pan... I see.

I intend to use the zoom controller when the Merlin will be used with an arm, so I guess that it would be more feasible since I won't need to use force to support the Merlin.
Eric Corriveau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)