Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin... - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Yes, it hits the lever and when I open the lever, then it hits the side of the stage.
Here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...-img_1040.jpg   Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...-img_1041.jpg  

Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...-img_1050.jpg   Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...-img_1056.jpg  

Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...-img_1057.jpg  
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #107
Major Player

Pictures! Cool!

Loosen the locking knobs on the spar (by the Arc-adjustment knob), then you should be able to move the lower spar down a little to give it clearance to fold under the stage.

- Mikko
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #108
Regular Crew

When I loosen them I still need to use the same amount (not talking about finger pressing) force to put it in. Is that the way it's suppose to be?
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #109
Major Player

There should be a *little* bit of force needed to "click" the spar into place under the stage (you can see the indentation where it's supposed to lock into). But you shouldn't have to force it.

There is a bit of play in the system, especially when those knobs are open, to allow you to lock it into place.

- Mikko
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #110
Regular Crew

Well with knobs taken off, here is how much it's off.
Attached Thumbnails
Everything you wanted to know about the Steadicam Merlin...-img_1065.jpg  
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #111
Major Player

wow. Yeah, it appears that there's something wrong there.

Start by putting the nobs back on so you don't loose them ;)

Did you buy the unit locally?

- Mikko
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Oooh no, now comes the bad part...
Bought it from BH on the 9th of August, shipped to my relative in LA and he brought it today to Croatia (Europe).
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #113
Major Player

hmm..

Give Tiffen a call directly (http://www.steadicam.com/steadiCusService.html) and they will either be able to find a fix for you over the phone, or will most likly ship you out a replacement unit quickly (they are normally very fast!).

- Mikko
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #114
Regular Crew

There is NOTHING WRONG with your Steadicam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko Urbic View Post
When I loosen them I still need to use the same amount (not talking about finger pressing) force to put it in. Is that the way it's suppose to be?
There is NOTHING WRONG with your Steadicam. I have two and they do the same thing. You simply need to push the lower spar below the stage-plate and it will detent in any of the 3 small recessed cut-out sections in the plastic underneath.

Trust me, I toured the factory, I seen enough of them and they all work the same way, just like the one you have. Hope this helps so you can now spend time practicing flying the cam! lol

PS: Just got my Tiffen arm/vest last week and OMG! What an amazing and well designed system! Worth every penny I spent. I'm taking their 2-Day Training class possibly this weekend.
Armando Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Well, looks like it's not supposed to be that way.
I emailed the Tiffen support (phone is too expensive from Croatia) with the pictures and they told me to send the unit back.
The problem is that I need the unit from the 15th for weddings that I already said the Merlin will be at, and sending the unit back to US for repairs is going to be too long.

The unit like this is constantly in need for re-trimming if I push it enough to fold. That's really bad for weddings.

I'll see if they can offer me any alternative.
Old September 5th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #116
Major Player

Can you wait 10 days and then send it right after your shoot?

- Mikko
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #117
Regular Crew

I need it every 7 days till December. But from the 15th I specificly told the Steadicam would be on their wedding. :( (thought a month of training would be enough- I was supposed to get it 14.08.)
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #118
Major Player

Perhaps Tiffen could send you a replacement unit first and then you send yours back? Maybe using a credit card as a security desposit during the exchange?

- Mikko
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #119
Inner Circle

You mean it's supposed to click into place and stay there by itself?

Not on my unit! The arm just flops down so I've been using a piece of velcro tape to hold it in the folded position.

Now that I look carefully at the bottom of the stage I can see that the tool that was supposed to cut the latching indentation apparentlly made 3 passes and that whole area is chewed up so there is no longer a detent!

Glad I read this - I'll call Tiffen Friday (Client meetings all day tomorrow!)

And all this time I've been muttering to myself about why there wasn't some kind of detent to hold the arm in the folded position!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #120
New Boot

Marko -

Don't bother trying to get it "fixed" - mine is like that too. I have the recent SE model, serial # 100601xx, and I suspect there have been changes since it first came out. The manual states the the arc size varies from a max of almost 13" to a min of 7", but mine is 13 3/4" to 8 1/16". I don't use the latch when folded because it puts way too much stress on the hinge.
Phil Shima is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)