Indicam review continued - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #91
Wrangler

Depends on the rig. The Smooth Shooter doesn't have any adjustment but the larger Glidecams do, as does the Tiffen Flyer. The adjustments set the attitude of the arm relative to the operator; fore-aft and left-right. This allows the arm to always fly level (i.e. not pull away to one side or away from the operator) when the operator is standing comfortably. Obviously a skinny guy and a big-bellied gent will have a different pitch to the part of their body where the arm attaches to the vest, so you can imagine why this is a necessary adjustment to be able to make, otherwise you have to compensate by leaning your body to counter the rig, or as I said most will use force to reign in the arm.

The knocking noise I wouldn't have an answer for you on, other than if it shows up in the footage, it may well be what you are thinking, otherwise it could be the spring shifting around in its mount.
Old November 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #92
Major Player

Thanks, Charles.

How do the adjustments work? The only thing I can think of is that the fore-aft and left-right adjustments change the angle that the arm comes out of the vest... at the socket block?

fore-aft <-> tilt angle of arm up or down
left-right <-> bend angle of arm left or right

Is this correct? I've never seen a professional "big rig" up close in person or in pictures so I have no idea.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:44 AM   #93
Regular Crew

Indicam review continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
Yikes! Tried the PILOT in "goofy" position and it was like trying to write left-handed (I'm right handed). It felt like I was learning the whole process all over again. It was hard to figure out which hand went where.
Hea All,

First, Terry's gizmo is an extrordanary piece of machinery. Hands-down the best bang for one's buck. I tried a Glidecam4000, not even close.
Second, who in his (or her) right mind would build the reverse of many years of development? Unless customer service was important. I've been to Terry's shop, and seen his protype bin! (Yikes!)
Finally, Terry's quality control is pretty phenominal. the gimbal is a work of art.

I did buy the "Goofy" rig Terry was grappling with, why??? Because I use DVX100 cameras and the monitor is not as high as the new Sony and now the camera flies off-center to the right! Perfect monitor placement. I also have little experience with stabilizers, so there's no re-inventing any wheels.

I found the reversed setup a pleasure. 10 minuites out of the bag to flying. Being right-handed is not a handicap, I find I have a lighter touch and actually rememer to let the sled fly hands-free. (Which it does easily)

I have a feeling everyone (newbies like me) will want their rig "Goofy"!

Rusty
Rusty Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)