Steadicam Merlin gets vest and arm at CES at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #1
Wrangler

Steadicam Merlin gets vest and arm at CES

Tiffen is showing a great looking arm and vest for the Merlin at CES, apparently. Some info and a picture here.

No word on pricing yet.
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Dang it CP! You beat me to it! :-)

However I have some more info...

More photos can be found at: http://www.lasvegassteadicam.com/merlin/

The arm is a smaller version of the Flyer arm (which is regarded as the best lightweight arm ever) and vest. The system features a standard adjustable socket block, and shares the famous tools-free Steadicam "Iso-elastic" design that makes the bigger arms from Steadicam increidbly smooth and responsive.

The arm lifts around 3-10lbs.

It has an amazing 28" boom range - that's almsot the same as the Flyer and G-series arms, and more than the Master/Ultra arm!

The arm-vest connections is by way of a standard socket block thats the same size [and compatible with] the Flyer's socket block.

It'll be possible to put other am posts on the arm to allow for use of other selds in adition to the Merlin (though I can't imagine why you'd want to, perhaps a light flyer sled..)

The vest is super lite weight and uses all velcro closures (no squeaky plastic clips!).

I think that this rig will prety much knock the ball out of the park as far as options for medium weight cameras like the DVX, HVX, and other similar sized DV and HDV cameras.

No doubt that the system will also be on display at NAB in April, if not sooner.

More updates from me as I hear them.

- Mikko

Last edited by Mikko Wilson; January 9th, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
Mikko Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Explains the Flyer promo over the past few months.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #4
Major Player

http://www.tiffen.com/merlinarmvest.html
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I know it will take me forever to save for it, but I am really excited about getting this (and a Merlin) for my XH-A1!
Byron Huskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Trustee

how much?

I know it's all speculation at this point, but anyone care to take a stab at what one of these will cost?
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have heard on another forum, as low as $2500 and as high as $4000, according to Robert Starling, a Steadicam Op in LV, NV. He was there at the showing, wearing the vest, etc.

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Anybody care to share rumors on when this will be released?
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #9
Tourist

WOW!! I was hoping they would release an arm and vest for the Merlin! I know there were rumors for a while. Now the only questions are when and how much $$$...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush Hamden
I have heard on another forum, as low as $2500 and as high as $4000, according to Robert Starling, a Steadicam Op in LV, NV. He was there at the showing, wearing the vest, etc.
Hopefully, they can keep the price in line with Merlin and similar handheld stabilizers. I just can't see dropping $4000 for an arm/vest on an $800 Merlin. The Merlin arm/vest setup may be the closest way I will have to operating a "full" Steadicam rig.
David Cuebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #10
Trustee

more price stuff

"Hopefully, they can keep the price in line with Merlin and similar handheld stabilizers. I just can't see dropping $4000 for an arm/vest on an $800 Merlin."

This thing is built by Tiffen. There's no way it will come in for anything under $2500. If I'm wrong, I'll buy 2 the day they come out. I'm guessing it's more like $3500 without the Merlin, $4000 with. I'm willing to bet that at that price it's worth every penny and then some.
I'm excited about this product. I'd be more excited if I had the 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket.
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #11
Major Player

Flying with the arm and vest you'll probably need to add the docking stand to the budget.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:36 PM   #12
Wrangler

I'm going over the Tiffen factory to test out the new vest and arm on Monday, so I will post my thoughts shortly thereafter.
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:20 PM   #13
Major Player

We look forward to your report CP.

- Mikko
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:13 AM   #14
Major Player

Can't wait to read your review Charles. I'm sure it'll just confirm my suspicions that Tiffen's got a winner on its hands!
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:39 AM   #15
Major Player

I just realised that because there is no monitor at the bottom and the position of the camera's LCD screen it will have to be operated with the camera on the right hand side of the body. And perhaps that will be the only way?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)