Any sub $1000 options? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any sub $1000 options?

Hi all,

I have a Canon XHA1, a redrock m2 lens adapter and a Varizoom 7" widescreen monitor that I would like to use with some sort of camera stabilization system. I currently have an older glidecam but (no surprise) it simply can't handle the weight, and even if it could, my arm can't!! I've checked on Steadicam's site but their products are WAY out of my price range, so here's my question: Are there any affordable options for a rig of this size and weight (affordable = $1000 or less). If not, I figure I'll have to look at a home built stabilizer being my only other option.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Luke. Unfortunately your budget is a little too low for what you want. This of course if you want to get it right from the beginning. I mean the Smooth shooter alone cost $1500 and I think it might still be a little too much for your setup requirements. Remember after you put on your camera which weighs roughly 2kg and then the 35mm adapter, monitor, cable and accessories you'll be, you'll be up to it's max. It's always good to get a little more headroom to play with. Is you budget your absolute mark?
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input Charles. Based on my previous experience I definitely agree w/ you, I don't want to use a rig where I'll be at its max weight. $1000 was already kind of pushing it for my budget, but you know what they say.. where there's a will there's a way, so let me amend my question: what would be the least expensive option that would do the job?
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

Well luke I can't really think of a system good enough for the price you're asking to be able to support your requirements. Otherwise you'll have to stick with the handheld models and I know that's definately not the way to go. Is it a must you attach a 35mm adapter on the camera? I know the options would be nice and does give a nice look but if you're trying to keep within limits than it would best to forget about the adapter to fly the smooth shooter, if you do decide to go that route. Then again, stabilizers do tend to work best closer to their limits.

You mention homebuilt but it is not going to be any cheaper. That is if you want something of quality. You can definately get it done cheaper if quality is not an option. Maybe you know a good machinist and you can trade of some sort but it does take time if you're gonna do it yourself. Trust me, I know. ;)
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That too bad, but I guess I'll have to do the best I can w/ what I can afford right now.... presuming I don't use the 35mm adapter or the external monitor (which I mainly needed for the flip function) is there anything that offers an option better than the 'all arm' supported glide cam?
Old April 6th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #6
Major Player

...not for that price you're asking. That's why I suggested Glidecam because it was the only one that you could get close enough to the price you had suggested.
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Luke, here is a link to a shooter that is being sold cheap on E-bay, if you're rethinking:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Glidecam-Smooth-...QQcmdZViewItem

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)