U-Flycam from India - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 14th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Major Player

You can't really "infringe" on anything glidecam (except perhaps the name). Glidecam is just another Steadicam knock-off, just a more well known one.

The fact is that "Steadicam" is a registerd trademark of The Tiffen Company. These guys using to sell/refer to their product it is technically illigal.

- Mikko
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I can understand that - calling something Steadycam would infringe copyright even if it is spelt with the Y not an I, but someone else's design, be it Glidecam, Flycam, to the $14 DIY from China; build something, change something...improvement over concept, affordability for those who cannot afford to buy Garrett Brown's genuine article. You will get what you pay for.
Russ Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Holland View Post
build something, change something...improvement over concept, affordability for those who cannot afford to buy Garrett Brown's genuine article. You will get what you pay for.
Improvement over concept is a negative thing?
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #19
Major Player

Your making the assumption that these guys are working to improve the concept and not to just sell a product to make money.

That would be an incorrect assumption.

- Mikko
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I agree with Mikko; these guy's are just knocking something out for the hell of it, whether it works well or not - they say "balance is perfect" so far it really isn't but I'm still playing.

And, no - improvement over concept is the whole point of design and is in no way a negative thing, sorry if I sounded a bit "change is bad" but improvement over concept is completely different from take someones idea, fiddle with the aesthetics and call it your own.
Russ Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #21
Major Player

Well, my "U-Flycam" pretty much sucks. It seems to suffer more on the execution than the idea. Two of the biggest problems"

1/ The removable plate that attaches to the camera is low quality flexible plastic. When you screw it tight it deforms and the camera points off a slight angle, making any kind of balancing pretty much impossible.

2/ The gimbal seems to be deformed as well and if you stand perfectly still with the setup, the camera seems to want to spin to the side to find the lowpoint on whatever ball joint they used.

The actual design doesn't look that bad and if they used a bit better parts, it probably actually would be servicable.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #22
Trustee

I've been playing with a mate's Flycam 5000 and it's a pain to set up - the 8 screws you have to play with to adjust are fiddly. You have to remember to lock and unlock on a diagonal so you don't bump the adjustment - fine changes are difficult.

I'll be using the rig on Saturday to film a rugby league match (that's like grid iron without any padding or rules) so fingers crossed.

After playing with it a couple of times now I can see the value in the Merlin
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #23
Major Player

Ya gets what ya pays for.
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #24
Major Player

No not always. I love my Spiderbrace and that was dirt cheap. The Tiffen Steadystick is another low priced gem. Cheap doesn't always mean bad.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM   #25
Major Player

I as well have the flycam and really don't care for all the screws you have to tighten after mounting the camera to the plate. Would be nice to have a quick release in case you would have to switch over to a tripod.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 06:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo Alvidrez View Post
I as well have the flycam and really don't care for all the screws you have to tighten after mounting the camera to the plate. Would be nice to have a quick release in case you would have to switch over to a tripod.
Just buy the dual fine tuned adjustable plates from manfrotto and you'll be set.
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Regarding products from CineCity - I would order with caution.

I bought the 'U Fly Steadycam' which came to around 45 including shipping from India. It arrvied within 3 days which was good. After setting up the thing, I could not get the weights to balance correctly on the rig and equal the weight of my FX1 - therefore it was useless. Furthermore (and here's the worst part), the plate and holder for the FX1 on the rig is plastic, and my FX1 FELL OUT of the rig. Thankfully only a couple of feet from a soft landing. I was refunded 100%, but would be weary of ordering products from them again.

Guess it comes down to the old saying 'you get what you pay for'.
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I've been playing with a mate's Flycam 5000 and it's a pain to set up - the 8 screws you have to play with to adjust are fiddly. You have to remember to lock and unlock on a diagonal so you don't bump the adjustment - fine changes are difficult.

I'll be using the rig on Saturday to film a rugby league match (that's like grid iron without any padding or rules) so fingers crossed.

After playing with it a couple of times now I can see the value in the Merlin
Hey Paul

I got given a Flycam 5000 today! Let's get together and compare. I will email you also
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #29
Trustee

no probs - I've now got a merlin & arm/vest
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #30
Inner Circle

You might be able to try adjustable trim weights under the camera itself something like this ( only partially successful attempt at airborne stabilisation ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaKc6i3i9-0
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)