U-Flycam from India at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #1
Major Player

U-Flycam from India

On eBay I keep seeing the U-Flycam which is being sold from India. Here is a non-eBay link:

http://anuuj.trustpass.alibaba.com/p...abilizer_.html

Anyway, I'm not sure if this would be a disappointment and if I would end up with a Merlin at some point in the future or if it might turnout to be a hit like my Spiderbrace or HVR-A1 bottom loading offset plate (both of which I love even thought they were dirt cheap). Does anyone have any experience with the U-Flycam?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Well I ordered one. It was about $153 US including shipping from India. I'll post what I think of it here once I have it and have a chance to give it a go. Hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise like my Spiderbrace (which I absolutely love in spite of it's cheap price).
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Can't wait to hear !
Great. How did you get the price of $153 ? It says $200 on their site.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

There are always at least five or six of them on eBay at any given moment. I was the only bidder on the one I ordered. I didn't post an eBay link because it is against the rules of this forum. Just do a search for U-Flycam,
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Major Player

So how is it? :)
Eric Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

U-Flycam

I recently brought one from eBay, i've been playing with it on my vx2100e and found it fairly good. My problem with it is that is swings to one side more often and easily spins around - i've ended up filming myself with it.

Walking, it does take alot of bounce out of my steps and it is smooth, although when it is actually pointing forward it tends to sway a little, when video played back looks like you are on a boat.

Maybe its because I've not got it balanced correctly, some help would be appreciated - this is my very first stabiliser and I purposely brought a cheap one because i don't shoot video that often, I shoot short films but not regularly. Think I only paid about £45 for it.

I've heard there is a technique to using these things? bend knees, etc. how can i get better footage with this, once its balanced correctly, assuming it's not?

Thanks,
Russ
Russ Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Major Player

The original link at the beginning of this thread is no longer in existence, for what it's worth..
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

yeah, the link. As I said I got mine from ebay, but the company that I think makes them are www.thecinecity.com. Same ebay pictures, anyway.

Contacted them, not sure if I've got a faulty one or whether (as usual) it's just me...
Russ Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Trustee

Boy they certainly like to copy don't they..

http://www.thecinecity.com/product.p...cat=243&page=1

the price is a bit rich for a Indian knock off and I suspect the after sales would be less than spectacular.

I couldn't stand being on the phone with yet another support person from Bangalore!
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Wow. Ripoff after ripoff after ripoff on that page, with some trademark infringement thrown in for good mix. Sheesh.

- Mikko
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #11
Major Player

You say that like it's illegal or something :P
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #12
Major Player

The trademark infringement is.

The ripping off is just a sign of blind copying without understanding or trying to develop what you are making, meaning that the result is a product made to make money (for the maker), not necessarily to be a good product.

You get what you pay for. Hopefully.

- Mikko
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #13
Major Player

Yeah, I thought the English was written quite well on that page. ;)
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Major Player

I actually took the plunge and bought one the other day - it is the flycam 5000 variant with the single piece arm and "comfort vest".

It came within two weeks, which from India I thought was quite good. At just over £300 i was to be honest not expecting the greatest of quality - but what I have got has actually turned out to be pretty good. Now I have never even seen a steadicam close up in real life before, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

After a fair bit of practice with it, I can get it perfectly balanced in about 2 minutes using the quick release plate and a little horizontal adjustment - it seems to like the camera ( Fx1) with the weight of a century .7 on the front better. The vest could do with a bit of an improvement, but will be comfortable for about 25 minutes without it starting to strain - I may get this modified slightly with some more padding to improve it. Again, after practice I have been able to get some pretty fluid shots - the whole system actually feels quite responsive and natural to get used to. With a fair amount of success I've managed walk arounds of a static object, short runs, follows and diagonal angles - watching the footage I can see flaws, but I'm thinking about it and getting better results each time.

"Why did i buy it?" is probably a good question to ask. Well, I needed a starting point, to figure out if this is going to be useful to me in the long run. At £300 this is considerably cheaper than any other system out there and it will give me a good feel for the concept. Who knows, when I feel ready for it I may be spending £5k on a new rig in a few years time?
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #15
Regular Crew

An email I got from the seller on ebay says that "the weights they sent me were for the vx2100 and will be perfectly balanced so try to set it up like in the catalog"

Wow! talk about sarcastic, apparently, it's bottom heavy which is why it sways and swings around on itself, still playing though.

I, like Rob Evans, have nothing to compare this model to, I suppose for £35 brand new from the cinecity's ebay shop can't grumble. I did notice that their flycam 5000 is aesthetically identical to the Glidecam Pro - I did wonder about the possible copyright infringement and the possibility of an inferior replica, but I took the plunge...

It'll do me for starters. Its not like I'm doing weddings or anything, just short films for pleasure.
Russ Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)