Steadicam Merlin, is it worth it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Steadicam Merlin, is it worth it?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Merlin, and whether or not it is worth it in comparison to the cheaper stabilizers. Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, the Steadicam Merlin is well worth the price in what it does over the cheaper knock-off other stabilizers.

This topic should really be in the "Stabilizers" area of the forum above....

- Mikko
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I can't answer your question, yet......I just ordered a Steadicam Merlin from B&H.

I was trying to decide between the Glidecam 4000, the Varizoon Flowpod, or the Merlin to use with my XH-A1.

There are as many different opinions on these tools as there are users of them. I did the research on this forum (VERY helpful) and as much as possible on the various manufacturers sites. Ultimately, for me, it came down to analysis of that research with regard to total weight, ease of setup and use, portability, support from the manufacturer and community, reputation, and cost. The Merlin is a bit pricier @ $800.00, but given the other considerations, was my choice. The Merlin user manual (online) is very detailed and explains not only "how" to do something but also "why". They also offer a "cookbook" that details precise settings for various cams. Users of cams not listed there have submitted settings for these cams (HV10, HV20, XH-A!.G1, etc). Much more professional and complete than the others.

It should be here by the middle of next week, so we'll see. I do not, however, expect to be disappointed.

(Edit - Mr Wilson's assessment also contributed to my decision...Thanks Mikko)

Last edited by Dearl Golden; March 30th, 2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement
Dearl Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Major Player

The Merlin is amazing and magical. It is very easy to setup and fly.

The only time I have trouble with it is outside when it is windy.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I got my Merlin this week. It's an amazing device! I had purchased a flowpod originally but found it way too heavy to use with my A1 so I returned and bought the Merlin. The Merlin comes with very comprehensive instructions (interactive DVD and Manual) that will have you up and running quickly. Once you get your camera balanced (follow directions to the tee) you will find it hard not get a smooth image. I'm still learning how to rotate the camera on the gimbal which requires a very soft touch with your finger to influence the direction of the camera. I'm practicing first with my smaller 1.2lb Canon HV20 and then will mount the A1. My dilema will be which camera to use it on. It takes a bit of work to change the setup between two cameras.
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Love my Merlin. I typically use it with my VX2000 and a Z1. A couple weeks ago I tried out a Canon A1 on it, incredibly managed to balance it in less than a minute, and it worked like a charm. Though roughly the same size and weight as the Z1, the A1 seemed easier to use on the Merlin, maybe due to the placement of the battery on the A1.

It costs more than the competition, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Merlin again. It's a piece of equipment I expect will outlive my cameras.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Most of my favourite stock footage is Merlin footage. Nothing compares to that floating look. Well, nothing that's also this simple to set up. It'll take a long while to master, but that's part of the fun. At $800 I really don't consider it expensive.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)