Merlin on the Flyer Arm?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Still Motion

Merlin on the Flyer Arm??

Just curious if I can make this work somehow. I have the Flyer rig but for certain shoots, it would be nice to just use the Merlin and have the arm as an option. As the new Steadicam arm will work with the Marlin, thought there might be a way to get it on the Flyer arm. Thanks for any info.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Major Player

The Merlin does fit onto the Flyer arm. However you'd need to add just over 2lb to the Merlin to fly it on the Flyer arm.

This does mean that a Merlin with a metal gimble, which can take up to 7lbs of camera, should actually be able to fly on the Flyer arm when fully loaded!

Either way, yes it's possible, but it is very limeting in that it doesn't offer a good range of adjustability.

- Mikko
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM   #3
DVi Contributor

this combination was being shown at NAB, The Merlin mounted on a vest and arm. What I was not able to get an answer to was if you could just buy the Merlin and possibly an adapter, and put it on a current flyer vest?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Craig, the system that was beeing shows at NAB was a new Arm and Vest for the Merlin. They are not the same as the Flyer Arm & Vest. (The Merlin Arm is 2/3 the size of the Flyer Arm)

- Mikko
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:30 PM   #5
DVi Contributor

Mikko, so yeah it's a whole new system, but since I have a flyer system can I just buy the smaller arm and merlin mount and attach it to my current vest? It looked like the same vest mount.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Wrangler

Craig:

It wouldn't be too hard to make an adaptor to mount the Merlin on the Flyer arm, and while you are at it you could add a mounting post to add weight at the end of the arm which would help also (the Merlin should be beefed up as much as possible to help make the system more inert, but you still might need a bit more to make the Flyer arm happy).

However, I'm not sure I could think of a situation where this would be preferable to using the Flyer, since it has the built-in monitor, more mass (i.e. more stable) etc. With a small camera you could simply add some weight to the camera platform to get up to the minimum of the Flyer.

What type of shoots were you thinking the Merlin/Flyer arm combo would be preferable?
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:08 PM   #7
DVi Contributor

Charles,
I was really thinking more of cost savings and storage. If I can use the same vest for both arms and heads I would hope to save some money on the system. I can only wear one vest at a time.

The Merlin does seem to lend itself toward smaller more confined areas that even the flyer might have trouble with.

What I really want is for my ProVid vest to be able to work with all three arms. It is IMO the best fitting vest.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Craig,
The Merlin and Flyer arm both use the same size Socket-Block. So yes, you can use the same vest for both arms.

If you own a Flyer and a Merlin (sled), then it may be worth it to give Tiffen a call and see how much they would want for just the Flyer arm.

AND, though the "Flyer Size" socket-block is smaller than the "Standard" socket block used on the larger vests; the mounting holes used to mount the socket blocks to the bridge plate on the arm are the same. So you could get a 2nd bridge plate for your Pro-vid vest and mount a Flyer socket block on it and use the same vest for everything.

Call Tiffen/Steadicam and see what they can offer you.

- Mikko

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)