My Steadicam Merlin Demo Reel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 17th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #1
Major Player

I've put together a showreel from some recent weddings that I've shot here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlblLOLj8IQ
I've ordered the arm and vest, mainly for use in corporate work and I'm interested to see how much it will improve the stability, especially with the heavy duty gimble.

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; June 18th, 2007 at 06:11 AM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Nick,

A lot of your smooth video can be attributed to the Merlin but most of it I believe is your skill. You shots were excellent!

I can tell you have learned the steadicam motto: practice, practice, practice.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Wow! really awesome work. It is inspirational.

What cam are you using?

Thanks for sharing.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi, thanks for the kind words guys, I use the Sony FX1 on the Steadicam. I do two camera shoots, the other cam, mostly on tripod is the Sony Z1.
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Interesting. I am trying to work the Merlin into my weddings, but I am finding it hard to find the time during the wedding day. Between everything always running late and sharing the couple with the photographer, I don't know how to work it in.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis View Post
I've ordered the arm and vest, mainly for use in corporate work and I'm interested to see how much it will improve the stability, especially with the heavy duty gimble.
Let us know what you think of the arm and vest Nick. I'd be interested. Also ...gulp...what did the arm and vest cost if you can tell us please?

One thing i don't quite "get" is how the Merlin manages to keep vertical operator-movements under control (without an iso-elastic arm) such as when you're walking.. But it does seem to do that quite well. If you could comment on that please ( i know a lot of it is practice !).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes View Post
what did the arm and vest cost if you can tell us please?
A better question is where you got it :-) I am still waiting for it to show up available so that I can order it.
Chris Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Trustee

Well, if that's just done with the Merlin, then I'm well impressed - it was excellent, could have been a proper Steadicam.
I might have to get one myself...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't have the arm and vest yet. I have placed my order and the ETA is late July-early-August. Here in Australia the upgrade cost is $2999. Total investment cost of $4500. Obviously cheaper in US. Stu, the hardest thing I find with hand held operating (apart from fatigue) is minimising unwanted vertical movement. You really have to bend the knees when you walk. It takes a lot of constant practice in general, and I'm nowhere near where I want to be.

Last edited by Nick Tsamandanis; June 19th, 2007 at 10:40 PM.
Nick Tsamandanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Super cool. I want one. Send me yours.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Zlamany View Post
Interesting. I am trying to work the Merlin into my weddings, but I am finding it hard to find the time during the wedding day. Between everything always running late and sharing the couple with the photographer, I don't know how to work it in.
I have an assistant during the day and he follows me around with the other cam, I switch from the Z1 on a tripod to the Fx1 with the steadicam within seconds. The pace is very fast as I don't like to stage shots, and working in with the photographer. It all flows smoothly and the atmosphere is like a model photo shoot, the girls love it.
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Very nice work!

(UPS delivers my Merlin later today! Wooooo!)
Rene Roslev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Nick-You're and ANIMAL!

Nick,

Me and my guys here in Atlanta just watched you're Merlin demo and WOW!
You must have arms of steel. It is some of the nicest work I've seen and I would have sworn you had a full vest rig. We have a Merlin, and we'll try and use it for a while and then get frustrated and stop. We are putting a Z1 on it and it seems just a little bit much for the rig, but you've inspired us to get back to work with it. Keep up the good work.
Matthew Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks again, um I forgot to mention that I have been an avid gym junkie for the last twenty years. It does help having strong forearms, back etc... but it will still be a huge relief when I get the arm and vest. Whatever you do don't stop practicing, once you do, you lose your skills, it's just like playing a sport or musical instrument.
Old June 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Wrangler

Great job Nick! You've schooled me with the Merlin, you've definitely put in your practice time.

I love the shot circling the car with the chauffeur leading you around the frame. You used him as the anchor on the side of frame and adjusted your speed and pivot point to keep all three in the shot. FYI guys, that is EXACTLY the sort of thing that makes a great Steadicam operator--understanding how to make these sort of adjustments (and being able to design them, and in Nick's case, recognize and incorporate them instantly when they are "happy accidents"). That sort of thing goes far beyond the technical aspects of minimizing roll or vertical bounce.

Keep it up! (and look forward to hearing your results with the vest/arm).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)