Resources for learning to use a stabilizer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Resources for learning to use a stabilizer?

Hey, i got a stabilizer off of ebay, it's one of those free floating types with weights at the bottom, but anyways, I was wondering if anyone can point me to some websites offering tips etc for beginners, I can't figure out how to use it without it tipping sideways, and turning when I turn, lol. Anyways resources would be greatly appreciated.
Jenna Klingensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Some of us have been ordering the "stabilizer basics" training DVD from Indicam. (www.indicam.com)
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Philip.

It's hard to remember what it was like just starting out with a stabilizer but when I get too comfortable I switch hands around so I'm operating with a right control hand. The old feelings come back.

Jenna,

We created the "Stabilizer Basics" training DVD so that others such as you wouldn't have to learn everything the hard way. It's full of all sorts of great stuff. To watch a couple of "teasers" you can go here:

http://www.indicam.com/media/Flash/flvplayer.html

You can contact us through our "Contact Us" page if you would like. If you have any specific questions we can answer we would be glad to do so.

There is also a lot of information on this forum as well as other places on the web that can help you.

Smooth Shooting,

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Just watched the Stabilizer Basics video.

Extremely helpful! You can read about these things, look at photos, etc...but it makes a huge difference to see them in action. Now what I read here about techniques will make a lot more sense.

For anyone who's new to this stuff, I give it 5 stars.

But the big unanswered question for me: is it "Tery", "Terry"...or can't you decide? ;)
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Philip,

I try to use Tery with video related emails and forum discussions so I can tell where the the information or email has come from. It's kind of a tracking thing.

Thanks for the quick review.

Tery
Indicam

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)