Pro photography forum?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old November 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pro photography forum??

Hey everyone. I'm a professional videographer but also offer photography to my existing clients. I also do quite a bit of outdoor photography for fun and profit. I'm looking for a professional photography forum on the caliber of DVINFO but haven't found anything that fits the bill. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I'm specifically looking for some advice on upgrading my kit. Thanks in advance.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Major Player

The ones that I know of are DPReview, Luminous Landscape, openphotographyforums.com, naturescapes.net, and Usenet, but none of them have good moderation like DVInfo.net.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Another great one is: www.outdoorphoto.co.za
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

unfortunately since i am a photojournalist, since rob galbraith (h**p://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp) forum went away, the truly pro photo forum i think is non existing.

how ever all of these forums that are mentioned above are very good also, but not quite for PJs, or who was in rob galbraith will know what i mean. :-)

his forum went away to another owner and is located here...

h**p://www.prophotohome.com/
Milutin Labudovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a professional videographer but also offer photography to my existing clients. I also do quite a bit of outdoor photography for fun and profit. I'm looking for a professional photography forum on the caliber of DVINFO but haven't found anything that fits the bill. Can anyone point me in the right direction?? I'm specifically looking for some advice on upgrading my kit. Thanks in advance.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
What do you shoot? Nikon or Canon?

Nikonians.org

Photography-on-the.net/forum

I frequent POTN alot. Great place and good moderation imo.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Randy and everyone else for the input, much appreciated.

Randy, I shoot on a Nikon D50 right now. Not exactly a pro kit which is why I need to upgrade. I'm getting more and more video/still combo jobs, and need the quality of my still work to match the quality of my video work. Most of my still work is architecture, I've invested in a few good lenses which brings me to my dilemna. I'm torn between the D300 and D700. I would love to go to a full frame camera but don't know if I can justify the price. I'm leaning towards the 300 since I already have some lenses and can use the D50 as a backup. Thoughts anyone??

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Wrangler

Can't believe no one has mentioned FredMiranda.com
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

It's my fav. pro-forum, but is a pain in the butt to get into as they don't let you sign up with hotmail, gmail, or other "free" emails.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Major Player

Milutin,

Try Journalists, filmmakers, photographers, and professional travelers. | Lightstalkers for your photojournalism.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
FM Forums

It's my fav. pro-forum, but is a pain in the butt to get into as they don't let you sign up with hotmail, gmail, or other "free" emails.
Thanks Dylan. That's the kind of forum I have been looking for. I just posted my query and got a great response within 5 minutes.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Inner Circle

www.photo.net of course, very good site.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
FM Forums

Ahh..how could I forget FM! Great place. Their classifieds have a crazy amount of traffic too. Only place where I had to bookmark an interesting listing cause it slips 2-3 pages in a day.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #12
Major Player

Digital Grin Photography Forum is also a great photo site. well-moderated and easy communication with the "bigwigs".
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the input. The FM forum was incredibly helpful. A lot of real world experience with both the D300 and 700. After much deliberation and research, I've come to the conclusion that the D300 is the best tool for all of my needs and my budget. I already have a few DX lenses including a Sigma 14-24 wide that I use for architecture. Most of my for hire still work is local and doesn't pay well enough to justify a D700 with high end glass. The other great thing about FM is the well moderated buy and sell forum. I was able to purchase a slightly used D300 for $1200. Bottom line is, if I need to move up in a year to a FF sensor camera, I feel confident I can sell the 300 and my DX lenses for a decent price. Once again, thanks for all the input.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
My Favorite on par with this site is Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin been very helpful to me and some amazing talent on there.
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy