How was this photo shot? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Wrangler

How was this photo shot?

Photo Highlight - Yahoo! News Photos

I'm trying to figure out how the photographer took this without being in the shot. The angle is almost dead on, he should be right in the middle. Photoshopped is possible of course.... but I don't think AFP allows photoshopped pictures.

Any insights on how it was done?
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Do the Lens babies allow for that much adjustment? Camera might be at top left where the branch is covering the reflection?
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Extreme zoom lens?
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

This could be done by using a long lens and setting up on the opposite side of the courtyard.

These spheres have so much curve to them they really exaggerate the size of the courtyard. Its not that far across to the other side. I suspect something in the 400mm size would do it with a 15mp camera.
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
This could be done by using a long lens and setting up on the opposite side of the courtyard.

These spheres have so much curve to them they really exaggerate the size of the courtyard. Its not that far across to the other side. I suspect something in the 400mm size would do it with a 15mp camera.
I had considered a huge telephoto, but written it off because there wouldn't be a telephoto big enough to get that tight.... BUT I'd failed to consider that the curve of the ornament would completely distort the size of the courtyard. The image characteristics don't strike me as an extreme telephoto shot, but again, the image could be a crop from a wider shot on a big megapixel camera. Anyone else got any thoughts on this theory?
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

Well, we can write off the basic extreme telephoto theory...

I put my Sigma 50-500 on my 1DmkII and fired off some shots at my own Christmas tree.

At 500mm, to fill the frame like that photo, I have to be FOUR FEET from the ball (and that's with a 1.3x crop factor)... which makes me clearly visible (the Bigma won't focus that close anyway). Granted, the ornament in the shot could be bigger than the one on my tree... but probably not by much.

You could still hide in the shadows opposite the square, but you'd need a gargantuan lens to get it. I just don't think that's the answer here.
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Major Player

But he IS in the shot, isn't he? Behind the pillar at the base of the staircase on the left? Looks like there's some sort of plant behind the right staircase that may fool us into thinking he's a matching shrub. Still pretty far away, I imagine, but not as much of a stretch as across the courtyard.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Maybe that's not a real xmas ornament. You can get that shot with a fisheye lens and then using software to give it a spherical look. Then, filter the color and ad the foregorund objects.
Old December 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #9
Trustee

Looks photoshop montage to me, the tree doesnt look real
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens View Post
But he IS in the shot, isn't he? Behind the pillar at the base of the staircase on the left? Looks like there's some sort of plant behind the right staircase that may fool us into thinking he's a matching shrub. Still pretty far away, I imagine, but not as much of a stretch as across the courtyard.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that!

I blame my tiny laptop monitor! :)

Ok, that looks to me like a human, so assuming he's the shooter, he could get that with a 400mm and a 2x extender, since the stairs may only be 4' wide and that pillar 6'-8' from the tree. But would there be focus distance issues?
Old December 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Wow, I can't believe I missed that!

I blame my tiny laptop monitor! :)

Ok, that looks to me like a human, so assuming he's the shooter, he could get that with a 400mm and a 2x extender, since the stairs may only be 4' wide and that pillar 6'-8' from the tree. But would there be focus distance issues?
Me too.. I had to download the photo and look at it blown up to see it but yep.. there is the photographer.
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #12
Major Player

I saw something similar recently on The Luminous Landscape of 3 ornaments that had to have been photoshopped. One ornament is in focus and the other 2 are not, yet they all 3 have a reflection of a scene some distance away and the "reflected" scenes on the 2 out of focus orbs are also out of focus. If they were real reflections they all 3 would be in focus. It's on the home page unless they've switched images by now.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy