Head Shots??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Head Shots???

Other than the really obvious answer, what are head shots?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

In show business they're 8"x10" photos that an actor/actress/singer would attach to their resume when attending an audition or applying for a job. It's a bit of a specialized thing in that a certain quality is expected.... I know this not only from my many years "in the business", but from watching my daughter (an aspiring young actress) agonize over them - and also opening my wallet to pay the photographers! ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

Working actors get these printed in bulk, with their resumes printed on the back of the photo.

They're black and white, but probably not for any artistic reason. Cheaper to print.

Many actors have switched to postcard-sized headshots, as they're cheaper and easier to mail, though not particularly auspicious.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Warden

Maybe a sign of the times or more of a Florida thing, but I see a lot of color head shots.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:32 PM   #5
Trustee

I recently did a casting call and interestingly enough, people are heavily relying on emailing their stats and headshots these days. This is partly because many send you links to their profile web sites, and partly because it allows them to get you their info before all the snail mailers.

I know that for myself, I really ended up preferring emailed information, because it made it supremely easy to track my correspondence and also to make sure I got back with all the queries. In addition, I got so much good stuff over email, that in my first set of auditions, I was booked up before I had even received half of the snail mailed stuff.

All told, over just a couple of weeks, I received over 100 headshots, and I'd say only 10 of them were snail mail. Also, of the print headshots I did receive, only one was color, though it was accompanied by a black and white variation of it as well.

I think the biggest lesson I'd learn from this as an actor would be, though, that if they provide email as an option of submission, take it! You'll at least get your info in there before many others.

And also, as a side note, I discovered I have a pet peeve - which I share with my friend who actually works at a Headshot production shop... If you're sending info for an acting role, don't send modeling shots (i.e., bathing suit or shirtless or whatever). Show professionalism by providing professional headshots that are both honest but also show how good you can look on camera. And if you do submit a snail mail headshot, for pete's sake please make sure your contact information is current and active (you'd be surprised)!

Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I also prefer the email headshot. It's also great when actors link to their reel on a site of their own. I think it just shows great professionalism on their part if they also have a reel to show. It's also great to track correspondence and to easily keep their headshots on file on a computer.
Steve Franco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy