EF 50mm mk 1 vs. mk 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old December 13th, 2004, 02:10 AM   #1
Wrangler

EF 50mm mk 1 vs. mk 2

Quick question about these two lenses....
The general consensus is that the Mk 1 is a better lens, being all metal and having focus marks on the barrel. On the other hand, some people say the newer Mk 2 has faster AF.

In my hood, a used Mk 1 sells for $50 more or so used than a new Mk 2. Are they really worth that much more?

Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You've pretty much summed up the differences -- metal mount and DOF scale. You're talking about the f/1.8 version of this lens, which is the low end of Canon's 50mm line. I prefer Canon's 50/1.4, but it's about twice or three times the cost of the f/1.8.

Is a metal mount and DOF scale worth $50? That's up to you. IMO, the mk I version is typically overpriced as a used lens because it enjoys something of a cult status, driving up demand.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #3
Skyonic New York

the 50 is such a tight lens on a digital camera that it often gets to sit on the bench...

on a full frame i say get the better 50...the 1.4, and don't even bother with the 1.8 [either one]...

on a multiplier camera i would get the plastic one, it light, yet durable, and for the amount of use it will get it a bargin..

the 50 is a great indoor lens on a full frame camera because even at 1.8 it sharp, but with the multiplier the rooms become that much smaller, the crops become that much tighter, i love to take my 50 on nature walks were it shines in natural light and it adds no weight to my camera, it is for me ideal,

so for me the mk2 wins out
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Get the mark 1. It's more durable and it's sharp, unless you drop it like my niece dropped mine earlier on this monthon a marble floor:-(
I wonder if it had been a mark2 if it owould have survived the impact as it is much lighter than the mark 1.
Neither the 50 1.8 mark 1 or the mark 2 are USM models but they are both sharp lenses.
I'm moving up to a 85 1.8 which is currently on its way from its previous owner in CA. From what I've read, it's a decent portrait lens. I hear that the 50 1.4 is a bit soft wide open, but still a decent lens.
I made an offer on a 50 1.4 but it fell through.
Go mark 1!!!
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Skyonic New York

the 50 1.4 is NOT soft wide open, it also has better bokeh, actually, so much so its very noticeable..

as for dropping lenses i don't recommend dropping any lens, and no lens is guaranteed to survive a fall, at least with the mk2 your only out 70 bucks
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Robert, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not the only person in the world that thinks that the 50 1.4 is a bit soft wide open.
Nobody recommended dropping the lens nor suggested that there was guarantee for such occurrence.
Bernard Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The 50/1.4 is slightly soft at f/1.4, but the 50/1.8 is slightly soft at f/1.8. Most lenses are slightly soft wide open. The f/1.4 gives you an extra 2/3 stops, though, which is valuable if you shoot in low light.

For a brief comparison of the f/1.4 and f/1.8 versions of the Canon 50, look here:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy