Organizing still photos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 9th, 2005, 03:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Organizing still photos

I just started using Portfolio to organize my still photos. I find it challenging to sort a mixture of snapshots and more thought out pictures into categories. What kind of categories do you use for organizing your pictures?

"Good taste is the enemy of creativity" - Picasso

Blog: http://www.tonyhall.name
Tony Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Tony,
So much technical information is harvested from digital images' EXIF data during cataloging that little is left for you to assign, or so it sometimes seems.

Key-wording / key-phrasing is the main user-assignable method for relocating material in Portfolio. (I use iView's MediaPro, a similar cataloging system.) I chose a very simple system based on content. In doing so I considered that there would already be an implicit organizational structure in place; the location of the source images. So I mainly key-worded according to the main subject and then by the setting (ex: day, night, etc.)

Off-topic: If you've not already committed to purchasing Portfolio I recommend that you also look at iView's MediaPro. I was very disappointed by Portfolio for a number of reasons and have been delighted by MediaPro. It's a far superior product in my experience.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been looking for some photo management software too. I use Windows, and I've found Picasa to be pretty damned good - and it's free. What I like about it, is that it's very slick, and intuitive to use. Check it out at picasa.com (Also available through Google's tools), of course I don't know if you're Windows or not.

I don't think iView MediaPro offers a downloadable demo, which seems to be a slight oversight on their part - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Aaron
Old January 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I like Portfolio alot so far. Between keywording and being able to search EXIF info and creating a master keywords list and categorizing your pictures... I don't know how you could be more organized. The only problem that I have is the subjective process of categorizing my photos for organization. Sure, I can keyword them all, but it just doesn't seem right to have a bunch of snapshots mixed in among my more artistic photos.

The hard part is just coming up with the right category structure that makes sense and is easy to navigate. Things like "hmm... should I put my 'tombstones' category under 'achitectural' or 'landscape'" can have me scratching my head for hours.

Old January 10th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : I don't think iView MediaPro offers a downloadable demo, which seems to be a slight oversight on their part - please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Aaron -->>>

You stand corrected.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Just downloaded portfolio, and I don't like the interface. Most photo catalog interfaces look so old school and clunky. Porfolio is that. Try picasa and you'll see what I mean.

Ken, thanks for that. I was too hasty and didn't read past the first sentence ;) Downloading now.

Aaron
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Major Player

I tried Portfolio first and didn't like it... of course it's a good deal for free.

Old January 13th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #8
Trustee

I adore iMatch.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm a big fan of IMatch, too. It works great, and the hierarchal categories are very intuitive.
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:44 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall : I tried Portfolio first and didn't like it... of course it's a good deal for free. -->>>

Oops, I meant Picassa

Tony Hall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy