Thinking about moving from Canon to Nikon... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old June 25th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Wrangler

Thinking about moving from Canon to Nikon...

I bought a Canon 10D last year, and I've been perfectly happy with it. I bought it with a long and short zoom. It's been sort of nagging at me that I don't have any primes for use with it, primarily for the wider apertures. I do miss being able to go shallower with the depth of field when I want to.

On the shelf sits my old Nikon FE, with 4 Nikkors. Fellow DVI'er Tyler Cartner got my juices flowing a bit by mentioning the Nikon D70S and that I could use my old lenses with this camera. I did some spec shopping and now I'm getting tempted to sell my Canon and buy into the Nikon.

I'm aware that autofocus lenses are de rigeur these days, but I do occasionally put my Canons into manual focus mode for old times sake and feel like I can adequately judge focus through the viewfinder enough to consider using manual lenses for a controlled shoot (headshots, etc.)

Anyone have any thoughts one way or another on this? Experience with both cameras, likes and dislikes?
Old June 25th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Major Player

Charles

Sounds like for what you are planning on doing with it it probably doesnt matter either way. There isnt much difference in the class of camera you are talking about.

Actually the D70 will be a slight upgrade from the 10D but a little below the 20D.

Canon and Nikon have very similar equipment.

If you need long telephoto lenses that is one area where canon is ahead and also a lot cheaper. Other areas are image stabilized lenses, Tilt-Shift and some specialty lenses such as the 70-200 F4.

Nikon on the other hand does a bit better with wide angle lenses and has the 200-400 F4.

I decided for canon because i had to buy a bunch of the long telephoto lenses and other pro lenses and the price difference was more than enough to be me an XL2.

If you dont have any special need then both systems will serve you well.

Forgot to add this. I dont know what focal lengths you are looking for but another option would be to get some primes for the canon. An 85 1.8 runs about $330, a 50 1.8 runs $85.
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3
Wrangler

Agreed about the stabilized long zoom lens, that's a great plus. I have one of those and really like it. Got the stabilized Canon binoculars also.
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Nikon has really become serious lately with their aggressive pricing of DSLRs. I trashed my 8 megapixel mini cam for the D70 and what a great device. Huge chip for the buck and straightforward menus (once you read the book) makes this a nice contender.
You just can't beat it for the value at 1500 bucks CDN.
Just add accessories ...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a Nikon D100. I've been waiting for a D200 as a second camera. Now I hear it will be after PMA next year. The more I read about the D70 and now the D70s I think I might get one. They are being used by pro's and the price of $899 is not bad. I'm thinking about the D70s with a 17-55 2.8 lense.
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Nikon D70!

Charles,

I can't join the debate between the Canon and the Nikon, because I just don't have the expertice the some of you have, and I am certainly so photographer. The last Canon still I owned was about 30 years ago, but, I can say that I love my Nikon D70.

Since getting the camera about 6 months ago, I have probably taken a thousand pictures with it, (some actually very good). It is just so easy to use and seems to be set up so intuitively, that I can just grab it off of a boat seat or table and start shooting. I bought several lenses for it, from a really nice 20mm, to AF zooms to 400mm. All I can say is that I am very happy with it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Charles,

I own the D70, D100, and D2X. Nikon is gonna win this with the DX sensor because of DOF issues. The Nikon capure software is also the best at this point.

About the D70......The color looks alot like slides. Over saturated most of the time(skin tones glow).

John
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:27 AM   #8
Trustee

Charles,

Keep the Canon gear and buy the D70S. Or at least buy the D70S before you sell the Canon. Unfortunately digital camera bodies have very little resale value. How much can you get for a used 10D and a couple of zooms? How valuable will it be to have the Canon system to run out the door with when you want the ease of AF and other electronic functions? Auto focus is not the only function you will lose when you screw an old Nikkor lens on to a D70S, the old lenses cannot communicate with the new body. I don’t track Nikon gear anymore but I would find out exactly what functions work with the old lenses and what doesn’t. I suspect you will find out it is like putting a Volkswagen engine in a Ferrari.

I would blow the dust off that old FE and go burn a few rolls to remind myself what a great system that was and is. Using your old lenses on a D70S may be similar to shooting with your FE except you will have a digital result.

Steve
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #9
Wrangler

Good points all. I should say that I do intend to replace my two Canon zooms with two Nikon zooms so that I have the same AF capabilities when needed; I would just be adding the additional possibilities of shooting with the single focal length lenses for portraiture.

Steven, the 10D seems to be commanding $6-700 on eBay, which isn't too bad--I spent $1000 on mine (factory refurb). I think it would be even more attractive with the lenses to the right person. The ones I saw for sale were body-only, presumably from folks who moved up to the 20D.
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Charles,

better have a look at the Nikon site. There should be a compatability list (there is or was one on the german site). On some combinations of lenses and digital bodies not even light metering let alone automatic exposure will work!

Simply speaking, the more expensive the body the better the compatibility. Unfortunately the D100 seems to be one of the less suited bodies for the "old" lenses.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Hi Charles,

I have been off the forum for some time due to work pressures and only noticed your post now, have you made the change yet?

If not, the distance between the camera bodies of the Canon and Nikon are different. The Canon being shorter, this leaves space for an adaptor that will allow you to fit your Nikon primes. The adaptors are inexpensive and worth it, I would check it out if I was you.

Many have the same problem and there is a big market for the old Pentax K mount (M42) primes as many don't mind the manual focus. There is some good old glass at very affordable prices.

I have a 10D and have been given the Novoflex 400 / 600mm combination with the Nikon mount. I have two choices, the one is to buy the Nikon to Canon adaptor (cheaper) or to by the original Novoflex to Canon which is more expensive but I think better.

Cheers
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #12
RED Code Chef

Andrew: I think Charles is currently on dial-up and very busy with some job. I'll forward this thread again to him though. Hopefully he has some time to comment!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Wrangler

these are just the kinds of questions which keep me up at night! even when they are someone else's questions!

so the options are:

buy Nikon body plus two telephotos to match the two canon telephotos

or

buy a couple of primes for the Canon

seems like buying a few primes will set you back less $$$, especially if you sell the Nikkors to finance the Canon primes...you could probably break even.

therefore...it depends on how badly you're drooling over the possibility of a new Nikon body.

opportunity to drool over new camera body: priceless!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lohman
Andrew: I think Charles is currently on dial-up and very busy with some job. I'll forward this thread again to him though. Hopefully he has some time to comment!
Hi Rob,

thanks for that. Hey long time no speak, hope i find you in good spirits.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
these are just the kinds of questions which keep me up at night! even when they are someone else's questions!

so the options are:

buy Nikon body plus two telephotos to match the two canon telephotos

or

buy a couple of primes for the Canon

seems like buying a few primes will set you back less $$$, especially if you sell the Nikkors to finance the Canon primes...you could probably break even.

therefore...it depends on how badly you're drooling over the possibility of a new Nikon body.

opportunity to drool over new camera body: priceless!

OR

buy a $30 convertor for each lens and use your Nikon primes on your Canon. That sounds like the cheapest option to me.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy