Recommendations for Digital Rebel XT Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Recommendations for Digital Rebel XT Lens

I own a Rebel XT with a cheap lens. Does anyone have any Recommendations for a new lens? I mainly shoot products. Mugs, keychains, hats, etc.

(edit: I accidentally put this in the wrong form. Could an admin move it please?)
Bryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I asked a similar question a while back and got a couple of replies.

[http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...hlight=rebel/]
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

any canon lens with an "L" attached will give you nice, sharp images. primes (non-zoom) are, in general, are sharper than zooms. for products, the 50mm, 85mm, or 100mm macro prime might all be good choices. i have the 100mm, and it because it is a macro, it's great for close-up work or portrait-distance work. it depends on what kind of products and what distance you usually place your camera from the object. if you say more about that, you may get more specific responses.

if primes are too expensive, and you find that "L" lenses are too expensive, pick up a tamron 24-135mm zoom. it's got a nice range of zoom, it's much sharper than your stock lens, is portable, feels good on a Rebel. not "L" quality but very nice for the price.

also, the best product reviews for canon lenses are at fredmiranda.com
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

Another good place to see lenses and cameras in action is dpchallenge.com. They've broken down their pictures by which camera and lens was used. Pretty neat, and a great way to see how each piece of equipment can perform.

Here are the listings by Camera and Lens.
Old March 16th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

Bryan - if you shoot products , then the cheapest alternative that would improve res would be the canon 50mm f/1.8. Goes for about 70 bucks. A step up might be the 85mm f/1.8 at about $350 . Both of these should resolve to the limits of the sensor. Your choice should be a prime rather than zoom and any of canons primes will do, as probably would sigmas' ex series. check out this site for alot of info.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/index.php

Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy