which canon prime's have manual aperture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old March 13th, 2006, 12:30 AM   #1
Trustee

which canon prime's have manual aperture?

I'm trying to figure out which (if any) of canon's EF series lenses have a manually adjustable f-stop or if they're all done through teh camera. Any help would be awesome.

thanks
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Nick,

I don't know if this helps, but a quick look at the Canon website seems to confirm, that none of the currently available EF lenses has an aperture ring. I can confirm however, that the following lenses don't have a manually adjustable f-stop (may be this narrows down your choices already):

EF 24-70mm/2.8 L USM
EF 24-105mm/4.0 L IS USM
EF 70-200mm/2.8 L IS USM
EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L IS USM
EF 300mm/2.8 L IS USM
EF 500mm/4.0 L IS USM
EF 100mm/2.8 Macro USM

If you really need the manually adjustable f-stop you should perhaps look for some FD lenses. There are FD to EF adaptors available so you can use them on EOS bodies (no AF of course).

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Rainer, thank you very much, that was kind of what I was afraid was the case. I'll look into the FD lens options though.
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
I'm trying to figure out which (if any) of canon's EF series lenses have a manually adjustable f-stop or if they're all done through teh camera. Any help would be awesome.

thanks
Nick

none of the EF compatible lenses have manual apertures. Forget about FD as the only way to use FD is with two different types of adapters.

One is a cheapo $40 adapter that has no optics and acts like an extension tube and you loose the ability to focus to infinity

The other is an expensive canon made adapter that has a little teleconverter built in that allows you to focus to infinity but is also a 1.2 or so tele converter. Biggest problem is to find one and if you do they run about $500 as they are collectors items by now

But there are easier solutions. You can use manual nikon lenses with a cheap adapter on any canon EF body. Get the adapter Nikon to EOS and then buy any cheap manual focus nikon lenses and enjoy. You can do the same thing with almost any other lens including zeiss glass, minolta manual glass, ...

BTW the movie corpse bride was shot this way utilizing Canon 1DMarkII cameras with manual nikkor lenses using adapters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy