Canon EOS-40D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Still Crazy
You say you want resolution? The whole world is watching these digicams.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
Trustee

Canon EOS-40D

http://crunchgear.com/2007/01/22/can...-40d-imminent/
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-c...ant-230343.php
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digital...1983862,00.htm

Competition is good when companies are forced to release their latest products earlier than later.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, the 30D seemed a bit odd to me. It was no real improvement over the 20D and with the advent of the 400D the sales of the 30D must have plummeted, because most people mainly look at the resolution of a camera.

The 40D, however, looks promising. It probably will have the same CMOS chip as the 400D, including the sensor cleaning, and the faster frame rate and larger frame buffer of the 20D/30D. That might indeed tempt some 20D users to upgrade.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

lol that didnt take long..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Major Player

IMHO, If they use the same sensor that's in the Rebel, it'll probably dissapoint quite a few.

If they do in fact retain the APS sensor size, and they've made some serious advancements in noise processing (which is what they're believed to have done while the 30D announcement bought them some time) then they could give it a healthy bump to 12MP, and give it the same features of the 30D and a little more.

This would also ensure one more life cycle for the Rebel to advance to after 10MP.
Smart thinking.

Other suspicions are that it could be full frame.
Which isn't too far fetched given the intentions to migrate full frame down the chain as evidenced in the 5D, which is also due for a change soon.

If it is full frame, they'd have to cut costs somewhere to keep it below 2 grand.
Another thing that would move a lot of buyers would be the availability of a High speed crop feature to accomodate EFS lenses. In fact, I think they'd almost certainly have to incorporate this feature given the user base.

Either way, they're going to nibble into 5D sales, but if a successor to the 5D is announced soon thereafter then it really doesn't matter.
Jacob Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi all

It seems to be getting silly these days... a camera isn't out five minutes and they are already annoucing a successor...It's like Renault motor cars...

By the way camera resolution isn't the be all and end all.. I, in fact, chose the 30D over the 400D for the simple reason it is a more solid, pro camera, with controls and CF profiles almost the same as the EOS 1 film bodies I have and DCS3's I used previously.
Also if the average user keeps the crappy plastic lens that comes with the camera the extra res isn't really used fully...I prefer my 17-35 f2.8 and 28-70 f2.8 for quality of shot...

I did have a 350D, briefly, but hated the plasticy feel, and the horrible push-button controls nothing fell to hand right...I was for ever cursing it... the 30D however is a pleasure to use.

I couldn't afford or justify a 5D, but would probably have waited for the 40D had I known... Most of these cameras have more resolution than most people need or use anyway...

Cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Trustee

It would be well worth it if the rumors of an anti dust mechanism on the 40D is true. With the release of the Nikon D80 and yet to be released Canon 40D, Sony better give us a new Alpha. The Alpha is still an exceptional camera but it won’t be for long. They might as well release 2 versions, a 1,000 dollar Alpha successor and a 2000 dollar advanced model. Now that I think about it, the more advanced model should be called Bravo. As for Nikon, maybe they will show us a successor for the D200 to compete against the Canon 40D.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
It would be well worth it if the rumors of an anti dust mechanism on the 40D is true. With the release of the Nikon D80 and yet to be released Canon 40D, Sony better give us a new Alpha. The Alpha is still an exceptional camera but it won’t be for long. They might as well release 2 versions, a 1,000 dollar Alpha successor and a 2000 dollar advanced model. Now that I think about it, the more advanced model should be called Bravo. As for Nikon, maybe they will show us a successor for the D200 to compete against the Canon 40D.
Well actually...I think Sony would name it Beta based on Alpha being the first letter of the Greek alphabet (alpha is the first letter...alpha is the first sony dslr). Personally I hate the Sony's, I was expecting good things, but played around with one for about a day and it was such a low quality peice of equipment for the money.

I'm holding off getting a second D200 body hoping another model comes out with less noise/more latitude, so I'd definately be psyched to here some news about that. The whole "dust-reduction" mumbo jumbo is starting to irritate me...take care of your equipment and you shouldn't need this feature. The 20/30D is not equal by any means to the D200...there are no Nikon/Canon models that compete directly against each other in my opinion. You've got two low-end Nikons and then two low-end Canons and then it goes back and forth...D80-30D-D200-5D-D2X-1DsMark II with the 1D Mark IIN being an 8MP speed-demon vs. the D2H being a 4MP speed-demon...its like tangarines vs. oranges --- plantains vs. bananas (somewhat similar but not really directly comparible)
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes
The whole "dust-reduction" mumbo jumbo is starting to irritate me...take care of your equipment and you shouldn't need this feature.
Noah, I wholeheartedly disagree. Dust on the sensor is one of two things that I think are a real disadvantage of digital photography (the other one beeing data storage/safety). Granted, I use my DSLRs heavily, about 25,000 frames per year in adverse conditions (I shoot mainly wildlife in Africa and sports). After a four week trip to Africa the cameras always need a wet sensor cleaning, which is not for the faint-hearted (that's why I always have it done by a pro). I would happily trade a few million pixels for a reliable sensor cleaning device.

Rainer
Old January 24th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer Hoffmann
(I shoot mainly wildlife in Africa and sports). After a four week trip to Africa the cameras always need a wet sensor cleaning, which is not for the faint-hearted (that's why I always have it done by a pro). I would happily trade a few million pixels for a reliable sensor cleaning device.
Yeah I guess for some people doing that kind of shooting its a huge benefit, but I can't imagine anyone shooting fashion, commercial, wedding, event, or portrait photography (for the most part) would really have to clean their sensor more than once a year. Sensors are only exposed to the elements when switching lenses and still they have the shutter to protect them furthur. That sounds like an awesome kind of trip! Did you go to Africa for vacation or do you shoot for National Geographic or something? I'd definately be looking for dust-proof sensors if I was shooting there!
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Major Player

No, it's not for National Geographic, but it's not vacation either. My wife and I are both freelance photographers and we market our pics mainly through photo agencies and submissions to magazines. So far this doesn't pay all the bills so I do some other things on the side (writing Aircraft Maintenance Manuals, for instance).

Our next trip is to Botswana, the Central Kalahari and the Okawango Delta of course. Very few opportunities to charge the batteries of the cameras and the data storage devices, so there will be loads of batteries and CF-cards in our (excess) baggage.

Rainer
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Sounds like an awesome trip! I think I'm gonna need to save up my vaction time for the next couple years and take a trip like that! :)
Old August 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #12
Trustee

Update

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/08/c...ng-next-month/
Old August 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #13
MPS Digital Studios

Apparently, Amazon.com had put up pages for the 40D, 1Ds Mk. III and a wide angle lens? Saw it today on Ken Rockwell's site (August 19, 2007):

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

heath
Old August 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes View Post
Well actually...I think Sony would name it Beta

Sony... Beta...
Sony... Beta...
Sony... Beta...

Where have I heard that before?
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #15
Major Player

Canon Australia have got all the details up on their website (www.canon.com.au) no specs or prices on the 2 new lens though (better IS, but too slow with just f4.5/5.6).

This decision is getting to be a pain in the arse, I was about to order a Nikon D200 in a day or so - really like it, but new job prospect would require a Canon (they have fast, expensive Canon telephotos they'll lend me). Wouldn't have bought the 30D I don't think, didn't come close enough to the D200, but this 40D is the extra step up.

Doubly frustrating because I had my heart set on not being just another Canon shooter, but that 6.5fps and the all-magnesium alloy body are tempting... but then Nikon seem to have the upper hand in lens offerings at the moment (not in the telephoto end of things though).

Decisions, decisions.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Still Crazy