Freeze frame at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old October 30th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Freeze frame

Anyone ever have an issue where their stream picture freezes for a second while their audio continues? Then the video continues and surprisingly stays in sync? This always happens at a particular venue, and it is cyclical, 6 secs good, freeze then 6 seconds good, freeze...

I am using a Vidiu Pro with Dacast, 800k stream, Speedtest tells me upload speed are around 8Mbps.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Freeze frame

Hi Kevin

Are you using the venue's LAN connection or a mobile/cell connection ? If you are going thru their LAN then one would assume they have the issue not you ...at 800kbps your signal should hardly affect an 8mbps upload speed. I personally have never had that issue and we usually stream at 2.3mbps and 720P

If it's their LAN and it doesnt happen anywhere else surely that points directly to a tech issue at the venue? Certainly sounds like a buffer issue at the ISP that cannot handle the data inflow
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris, that's was what I was thinking. I am using the ethernet connection. Maybe some bandwidth shaping with the ISP. I am surprised that it happens with such conservative settings on the Vidiu Pro.

Do you think that bringing along a 4G hotspot and using Share Link might fix this?
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would definately do a stream there (like a short test) using firstly their ethernet and then a wifi and check if it does the same thing. Venues (unless they are huge) tend to contract off-site computer guys and the venue staff no precious little about it so you end up with a shared connection that is far from ideal. I prefer to use 4GX connections even if they cost me a bit in data usage.
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Trustee

Yes....I have been there saw that. We did our first webcast in 2007 at 256K. Wow, how far it has come!

The lockup you are seeing is on their system side. When tying into some elses network there is much more to it than bandwidth. Especially if it is private network that allows some public access. Think hotel/resort. There is an entire host of restrictions that can be enabled on any system for protection. Generally speaking only the system administrator knows what they are and has control over them.

When streaming out of someones system just getting access is not enough. I contact the system administrator and ask ask him to "white paper" my system. In a nut shell that means he will tell his system to grant my signal clear access.

Kind Regards,

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View