Streaming full HD the DIY way. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old November 12th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #1
Major Player

Streaming full HD the DIY way.

Just been testing my DIY solution to battery only streaming.
I bought a HDMI WiFi transmitter / receiver and two four cell Ni-CD batteries. (normally used for backup emergency lighting) only thing I could find with 4.8v 4aH. Anyway I hooked it all up just now with my HDMI > USB converter and streamed to my laptop for 2 Hours 15 Minutes. ( not sure how long the laptop would last as it was plugged in) Just need to package the thing to make it tidier.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%A...ss%2Bhdmi&th=1

Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Streaming full HD the DIY way.

Just a thought, could you mount each of the extender units to the lid or interior wall of small storage or tool boxes?

Each box would have room for the battery pack, the antenna and the HDMI cables for storage and transport.

If you found the right type of box or with the right type of lid, you could mount the extender to the inside of the lid or wall for protection in transport, but flip it open or over depending on the design to reveal the extender and accessories for connecting. Positioning the swivel antenna for best use even if the unit is mounted at an odd angle.

If it was a very simple box and you're only traveling without much risk, you could mount the extenders to the outside of the box, with a hole to pass through the power connection and some room inside to store the antenna, HDMI cable and the battery.

Do you anticipate needing to elevate the system to get over head height in a crowded room? Or will they work fine at desk, table or cart height?

I usually elevate my digital stereo audio transmitter/receiver pairs using a very small lightstand with a 3-foot wooden dowel that fits into the aluminum stand. But these units are only the size of a pack of gum, so that's easy to do with minimum risk. They also only have built-in antennae, not anything like the more substantial ones you've bought.

If you don't need to elevate the units, and you want something really clean, you could make or buy a flat panel for mounting inside the storage container. Something like the Pelican special application panel frame system, but DIY to keep the cost down and match whatever size box you found two of. The panel, with the extender attached, would be held firmly in place when the lid is closed and latched, but the panel could be lifted to access the battery and the stored cables underneath once the case is open.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; November 12th, 2016 at 09:33 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #3
Trustee

I think the easiest way to complete my idea would be to use a small plastic toolbox that would normally have a tool tray inside that rests on supports. Replace the tray with a flat panel cut to size, with the extender attached to the panel.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:53 AM   #4
Major Player

I was thinking something of this idea for the laptop, reciever, USB convertor and wireless audio stuff.

http://images.utrechtart.com/product...90and24588.jpg
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Trustee

Looks nice. How far do you often need to transport the whole system? How far away will you normally place the camera and the HDMI transmitter? Do you work outside at sporting events?

If you want to stick with a bag for transporting the transmitter, battery and accessories as a set, a netbook/iPad case would be about right as long as the antenna could fit diagonally when detached.

Last year I bought a Case Logic 10.2 inch netbook case for stuff about the size of your transmitter, battery and cables. I think the antenna would fit if it's no longer than the 12-inch diagonal of the case.

If you wanted something quick to open and attach all the parts, or it's outside at sports and needs to stay self-contained while in use, I've seen 13-inch plastic tool boxes that come with an internal tray. If you replaced the tray with a flat panel cut from any material rigid enough to hold the weight of the transmitter, and sized to rest on the supports that held the tray, that would be handy and quick to set up. The battery and accessories would stow in the bottom below the removable flat panel.

It all depends on which phase you need the most convenience. Either packing it all into the minimum number of bags or cases for transport, or having the items already separated into each grouping and even already mounted and partially connected and ready to switch on.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View