Youtube added 4k streaming support at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old December 12th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Youtube added 4k streaming support

Personally I don't understand why HD isn't good enough. :-)

Specs for 30fps 4K video are:
- Resolution: 3840x2160p
- Video Bitrate Range: 13,000 - 34,000 Kbps

Good luck having an internet connection fast enough for that.

More on their 4K streaming support is at: YouTube adds support for 4K live streaming

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Youtube added 4k streaming support

Hi Andrew

The normal stream rule is to broadcast out at 50% of your upload speed so would we ever get 26mbps upload never mind 68mbps??? The best I have had on the 4G network is a constant 22mbps. Livestream Studio handles 4K cameras easily BUT would anyone seriously try to broadcast out in 4K ??? I guess it would be fine if your studio had that sort of connection and your viewer audience all had 60" UHD Smart TV's ..most of my clients watch on a phone, tablet or laptop. I would suspect that the viewers would have to have quite a decent ADSL2 download too? Mine is usually hovering around the 10mbps download speed so the video would stall every couple of seconds ... I don't think the general viewer could even tell the difference on the device they are using!!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:51 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hearing you loud and clear on that one.

I had a look at the stats on one or two of my streams through YouTube and I think 720p was the highest that anyone was doing for the playback.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Nothing wrong with 720 .. we still have a 42" LCD TV and max resolution is just a tad more than 720 ( I think 1360x???) and the image looks perfect to me so a casual viewer would also see it as good. It's the old story of technical perfection vs content and most (if all) are only interested in the content. I feed 1820 into my vision mixer but keep the project at 720 so it does a downsize for me ... the picture even at 2000mbps is pretty good and never had a complaint. If you are all set up for 4K and your venue shows you have an upload max of 5mbps you are screwed so I still rather send a 720 stream that is stable and continuous!

If you also broadcast out from a software based vision mixer I can imagine what sort of specs you would need for 4K?? My CPU on my i72600 runs around 50% when I stream 720 ... and that's a 3.4GB 4 core processor .... what would one need to send out 4K at something like 50 mbps? The specs would be boggling!!
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Trustee

And there is much more to the stream than the "up" at point of broadcast and the "down" at receiving end. Your only as good as your weakest bottleneck in-between those two points. The World Wide Web (remember that term?) is a big place and there is lots of congestion!

4K Streaming......Why? I wonder what You Tubes real motivation is for that offering???

Steve
Old December 14th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I recently checked on google analytics on my website for the past 90 days and the highest resolution screen that was used to view my website was 2560x1080 which was only 5% of the total and the most used screenresolution was 1366x768 with 30% of the total. So no user with a 4K screen yet.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Major Player

One reason is VR support, with the 4k spread over 360 degrees.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #8
Major Player

Most of my sporting events are watched through mobile devices or computers but a growing portion are now using apple tvs, rokus, and other devices connected directly to their TVs. I expect the 4k viewers to come from there more than anywhere. At the moment though my cameras etc are 1080 so they are still not getting 4k yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View