footage storage fees at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 10th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #1
Major Player

footage storage fees

greetings all. i have a client that wants a 5-7 minute video produced from the 16 hours of HDV footage i shot. They also want the footage to be used later for a larger ongoing project. i loaded the 16 hours onto my 1 terabyte hard drive and hope to pare down the footage to 2 hours max.
My question: what are the norms for storage fees? this is a significant amount of space to use on the long term considering i will be not only engaging in other projects, but likely adding footage to this project, also to be stored.
i have considered suggesting that the client buy their own hard drive, but cannot depend on that.
suggestions?
thanks,
Brian
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Something doesn't add up. If they want you to retain all 16 hours of the camera original for potential future uses, why are you loading it on to your drive and paring it down to 2 hours? Why not just store the camera original tapes in a safe storage location? You don't reuse them anyway, do you?
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #3
Major Player

sorry for the double post, Burundian black out and faulty back up!

I loaded the footage to be gleaned for an original project at 20 min. (which the client then changed to 5-7 min) with the footage also to be pared down to a form more easily organized for the ongoing project. as logging and capturing all the footage takes so much time, I want to store the best material on the hard drive for easiest access. Further, the project was a conference of activists from DRC, Burundi, Uganda and Rwanda, so the translations on tape need to have the proper audio translations (french and english) lined up with the video of the activists speaking their native tongues. every 5 minutes of an activist talking adds up to about 15 minutes more of translations to all the languages (bit of an editing nightmare to even make out some of the translations over the din). I shudder at the thought of doing this twice, even when the 16 hours is rough edited to 2 hours. so re-loading the raw footage later would not make sense.
i do not reuse tapes, but severely limited access to Panasonic tapes here has made it tempting!!!
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Trustee

I don't see what the big deal is.
Just purchase an inexpensive external firewire hard drive and back up the project and all the footage when you are finished with the edit.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Back it up to an external drive and put it away. If it seems 'too late' to charge the client for the drive now, then amortize it over the cost of the future 're-edits'. You can recoup the expense later. You've already explained your need to keep it on a drive, you're only struggling with the need to justify the expense at this point.

You've already justified the expense, look at your post.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks for your replies. You're absolutely right. Finding a firewire (or even USB) drive in Burundi is another matter... my current drive entailed a trip to Nairobi and an extensive search.
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

AHhh,,, who new from looking at your profile that Burundi was so clse to Winnepeg Canada! (Smile...) So yeah, if you're isoated, it can be difficult to locate cheap drives.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business