footage storage fees at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 10th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #1
Major Player

footage storage fees

greetings all. i have a client that wants a 5-7 minute video produced from the 16 hours of HDV footage i shot. They also want the footage to be used later for a larger ongoing project. i loaded the 16 hours onto my 1 terabyte hard drive and hope to pare down the footage to 2 hours max.
My question: what are the norms for storage fees? this is a significant amount of space to use on the long term considering i will be not only engaging in other projects, but likely adding footage to this project, also to be stored.
i have considered suggesting that the client buy their own hard drive, but cannot depend on that.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Brian
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Give them these options on top of your normal charges.

1. They buy another drive and own it and you back up to it as you go along included in your price.

2. You buy the drive and charge an appropriate rate for back ups as you go along.

Point out the first option is the more attractive price wise as the number of back-ups are undetermined. Either way you've got to back up after every session; say you'll store their drive gratis.

Strategy...keep the client, as it sounds like a long gig which may shed some enthusiasm and drive. (no pun) Good luck.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Funny that, I was just coming here to post that exact question.

It's possible I may have a client ( I"ll know next wednesday) who wants a biography done and the footage would also be historical. I was thinking of offering her the option for about $100.00 of buying a drive on which i would store just her project and all related footage, files etc. Does that sound about right?

What's conventional? What do most of you do when it comes to your clients? Do you back it up and save it or wipe the projects off the drive after it's done, saving only the DVD to copy? (Of course in her case since it's historical I want to make sure it's preserved).

Also what is the best way to store it or conditions for preserving it?
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I back up all projects, including whatever original media was used, plus the rendered files. It's not unusual for a client to ask for something new to be added 6 months after the fact, or ask for a copy without an English soundtrack, etc.

Basically, when I have to change anything I want to work with the original source media.
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business