DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Insurance -- the big discussion thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/122-insurance-big-discussion-thread.html)

Dave Largent January 14th, 2004 12:49 AM

How are the WEVA rates?

Jonathan Stanley January 21st, 2004 11:55 PM

sorry for the late reply, havent been checking this forum regularly. I just got my quote, and for my equipment which i believe i quoted as being $9,000 in value, i will pay $50 for the year. seems good to me, although i am only 19, so this is my first insurance experience and i have nothing to compare it to.

Dave Largent January 22nd, 2004 12:38 AM

Jonathon,
Did this include accidental breakage? What is the name of the company who insured you? Was it through WEVA?

Jonathan Stanley January 22nd, 2004 09:42 AM

Yes this does include accidental breakage insurance. It was from a company called the William F. Buell Agency, and it was through WEVA (meaning this is group insurance so there is a discount).

Dave Largent January 22nd, 2004 11:20 AM

Anyone know of companies outside of through
WEVA who offer accidental breakage insurance?

Peter Moore January 22nd, 2004 04:00 PM

I'd love to know about this too. And I am not in any pro associations. Any options?

Jeff Donald January 22nd, 2004 09:05 PM

Your options are to purchase a regular business insurance package. It will cover accidental breakage, theft, etc. but is usually subject to a deductible. The other option is to add it to a home owners or renters policy as a rider. The rider covers the same problems, but is not subject to the deductible.

Dave Largent January 22nd, 2004 09:59 PM

I tried through my home owners and they
refused to cover accidental breakage. I was
told they didn't want to take the risk because
it's easy for someone to come along and
knock over a tripod accidentally.
Additionally, theft "off premises" is only
covered for 10% of my max theft "on premises".

Jeff Donald January 22nd, 2004 10:20 PM

You might want to shop differnt companies for your home owners insurance. In over 25 years of buying insurance either for my business or through my home owners, I've never been told that.

Rick Bravo February 4th, 2004 11:33 PM

In good hands? A necessary evil.

Procuction insurance, although expensive, is your parachute if anything goes awry on your set. Remember that you are not only responsible for your talent, cast and crew but also for any Joe Schmoe that wanders in an possibly gets hurt due to your production.

It would be a real bitch if someone gets hurt, and beleive me, you quickly find out who your friends are when money is involved, and they have no one to sue, except you, personally, if there is no insurance to go after.

Also, be very careful if you are adding a rider to your homeowner's insurance. It would really suck if someone came after your personal belongings after a mishap.

How about your gear? Trash a camera due to a missed mark? Butter fingered grip or AC?

If you are engaged in multiple productions throughout the year, I would strongly recommend that you get a policy that covers you all the time. Probably cheaper than on a job-by-job basis.

RB

Steve LaClair March 25th, 2004 12:10 AM

Insurance.

I recently got a renters insurance policy from Assurance and it covers all of my electronics up to $12,000 but the only problem is it doesn't cover against breakage, and that's something that's very vital to me being a skateboard videographer. Does anybody have policies that say it covers damage, as well as theft.

Thanks,
Steve.

Keith Loh March 25th, 2004 12:17 AM

My rider insurance covers everything including stupidity.

Paul Moore April 6th, 2004 12:24 PM

Production Insurance????? HELLLLLP!!!!

My friends and I are shooting our first production soon and we are trying to find out information about insurance. We dont want to cover the equipment just the actors and crew if something happens to one of them. Does anybody know who i should contact and exactly what i would need?

Thanks

Peter Moore April 6th, 2004 02:01 PM

The thing to do would be to try to contact a local film office. For example in Chicago there is the Chicago Film Office. Are you close to Philadelphia or any other major city? I'm sure they can help. Then if there is a city / state-run film office you can get info from them on what to do.

Oftentimes insurance is required by the city or state - and sometimes it's a lot!

Imran Zaidi April 6th, 2004 02:08 PM

Usually the insurance that you would get would be General Liability insurance - at least, that's what is usually required for a city-approved filming permit. And definitely, your city's film commission would be the best place to start - this is the same place where you would get your permit for shooting.

Also, don't mean to be a grouch, but it doesn't make anyone respond any faster if you use a ton of question marks and exclamation points. Sorry - had to add that. It's like typing with all caps - no shouting needed. Everybody gives their best around here to answer questions as they come.