Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #376
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Heiner View Post
canon xl1-s
monitor
tripod
field monitors
everything you need, and 5000 is nothing as you know.
So, did you insure your equipment?
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #377
New Boot

Anna, Nationwide insurance will let you add an inland marine floater to your tenant or homeowner policy. Be sure to tell them to check professional when they are inputing the data. bob
Bob Hollifield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #378
Regular Crew

Thanks Bob. Would it be better to get your own insurance or use a production's insurance? Is it wise to insure or should I just think of the costs for repair/replacement as a business expense?

I mean in the long run it's just stuff. Everything can be replaceable (not people).

I haven't had anything break on me until yesterday. Thank God it was only a breakaway cable (don't have time to repair it, have a shoot tomorrow, plus cables are never the same after a repair).

For those wondering why I haven't yet, I don't see why someone has to buy insurance and keep throwing money away on the off chance something will happen.
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #379
Major Player

Hi Anna,

Talk to folks like your local NY professional videographer association for lots of horror stories about getting their gear stolen - even when videotaping an event for many hours and leaving 1-2 minutes for a bathroom break. Then there's the issue of injuring someone with your gear, etc. at a paid event. Insurance may not be for everyone, but it reminds me of the pogniant bumper sticker, "Backups are for sissies!"

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #380
Regular Crew

Ha ha Michael! Call me a rebel!

I hear ya on that. But doesn't that fall on the production company?
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #381
Major Player

Hi Anna,

Yes, that's usually true if you're dealing with a legitimate production firm - check your T&Cs to see if you're covered or not. There may be a world of difference between status as an hourly employee, individual contract, business firm subcontract, etc.

Indies are another matter, and of course if you are the production company, they let your conscious be your guide!

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #382
Regular Crew

I just bitch until someone pays for the replacement or repair.

It's been working fine. I mean if it happens during their production because of someone else (not me), then they're partially liable.

Even with insurance it takes forever to actually get anything for your loss and then it's depreciated. Nevermind if it was mint.

And what if you have a shoot the next day? Are you supposed to rent 'til they replace? Front the money 'til you get it back?

I don't really get it. You're paying either way.

Sounds like a racket. I can understand why you would need it for a production but for individuals to insure their gear, I'm still not convinced. I'm super curious though.
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #383
Inner Circle

Self-insurance is fine when it comes to your own gear - you asses your risks, pays your money, and takes your chances. But liability insurance to cover your responsibility for injury to others is another matter - having that coverage when your activities might present some risk to others is just part of one's obligation to be a responsible citizen even if there is no specific legal requirement. If a hot light that you've failed to secure properly falls over and severely injures someone, it's you who should rightly pay for the consequences and if you can't afford to pay out of your own pocket the thousands upon thousands of dollars a serious injury would cost, it's your ethical responsiblilty to carry insurance coverage that will. Plus when you go on location there are a number of venues that won't let you set foot on the property without proof of coverage so that they aren't liable for accidents to you or your gear or for injury you might cause others while on their property.
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #384
Regular Crew

So Steve do you have insurance or do you leave it to the production company?
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #385
Major Player

Here is one company recommended to me:

Brandy Mcgrew
DeWitt Stern of California Insurance Services
10969 Ventura Boulevard
Studio City, CA 91604
Tel. 818-623-5429
Fax. 818-623-5469
bmcgrew@dewittstern.com
www.dewittstern.com

I still haven't gotten my insurance, although looking at rates and what is and isn't covered, I'm having a tough time deciding what to do as far as how much coverage vs. cost.

Wayne
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #386
Regular Crew

Wayne, that's the company I looked at as well. My quote was astronomical. But I was insuring ALL my stuff.
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #387
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Harmon View Post
Wayne, that's the company I looked at as well. My quote was astronomical. But I was insuring ALL my stuff.
Well, me too... but when I typically have close to 25K worth of gear on-site at shoots, I really do need coverage. On major shoots, the production company picks up any insurance but on industrial and smaller shoots, I'm on my own. I have only once rented out any of my gear without me being on-site, but that kind of scared me a bit. Although I have to admit I have a very good working relationship with Zaxcom so if anything had happened to my Deva when I wasn't there, I'm sure I could have worked something out with them.

Wayne
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #388
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Harmon View Post
So Steve do you have insurance or do you leave it to the production company?

At the present I don't have the need but you can bet as my situation evolves it will be high on the list of priorities.
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #389
Regular Crew

I can't imagine renting out my gear. Unless it was a sound buddy who needed something right quick I'm not advertising a rental.

BTW, not too happy that this got moved. This is an audio equipment question, to generalize it and put it in this thread hurts me. Chris, did you do this? I wanted sound people to answer this specifically, I don't wanna hear from the video folks (no offense to the video guys).
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #390
Major Player

Geez Anna, I thought it was a brilliant move that they reposted you here (but what do I know, association was never my strong area).

Still, it seems like the cost of pro-audio gear is in the same genre as videographers. Ditto with hazardous problems associated with XLR cables, electrical shock, boom poles vs C stands, etc.

OTOH, I'd agree audio engineers work processes are often quite different than a DP. Hopefully, you'll still get some helpful responses here in this thread.

Warm Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business