DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Documentation of an online theft with multiple victims (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/142192-documentation-online-theft-multiple-victims.html)

Gage Luce October 12th, 2005 02:57 PM

Documentation of an online theft with multiple victims

im selling a sony vx700 i aquired from a friend, for 150 bucks or best offer i need to sell it asap cause i am moving back to phoenix arizona i am currently in boise idaho it is in working condition all though i lost the battery and charger (the vx1000 battery and charger does fit it) great for a back up camera and second angles soooooooo thats partly why i am selling it so cheap its a 1ccd mini dv camera for those of you who dont know if you are interested

send email to Gage805@gmail.com or leave a message on here

Alecks Purifoy October 16th, 2005 01:19 PM

e-mail sent!

yay!

Tommy Haupfear October 16th, 2005 02:58 PM

Great price on a solid built cam!

Here is a pic of a VX700 I found on Google. The VX700 is on the left and the VX1000 on the right.

http://www.pressroom.sony.net/global...5_09_DCRVX.JPG

Alecks Purifoy October 16th, 2005 03:05 PM

im a huge fan of the vx-1000 i shot with one many a moons ago...

so the vx-700 is a single chip?

Gage Luce October 16th, 2005 08:55 PM

if you are interested, please Message me on AIM my sn is GageLuce and if you have msn add me GL805@hotmail.com, i need the money by thursday cause i need to buy a plane ticket for it back home i am currently stuck in boise idaho!! and i hate it here and yes the vx700 is a single chip it is in fine working condition

Gage Luce October 16th, 2005 10:28 PM

Item Is Sold!!!!

Gage Luce October 18th, 2005 07:59 PM

Still For Sale Sony Vx700 (cheap)

well the person that was gonna buy it doesnt have the money, so its still with me and i have lowered the price to 120 so if you are interested please please please....reply its a 1chip mini dv camera, it has only a charger....thats why im selling it cheap a battery you can buy on ebay for pretty cheap 20 bucks or so....i need the money super bad im supposed to fly to phoenix on thursday and dont have enough for my ticket its in fine working condition, i had it for about 3 months and filmed with it very little...then i got a vx2000 and the vx700 just sat around and i havent used it since so instant message me on aim GageLuce if you are interested

Jon French October 19th, 2005 12:00 PM

re:

Ill take it, email me at jonfrenchvideo@yahoo.com and we will work out the payment deal

Jon French November 4th, 2005 10:29 AM

Hey you ever going to send that camera to TRi? or are you just going to keep his money?

Alecks Purifoy November 4th, 2005 02:45 PM

wait a second,

i bought this camera for 150 and ive been waiting...

their better be a good explanation for this

i smell bullshit.

Alecks Purifoy November 4th, 2005 02:50 PM

still haven't received....

Chris Hurd November 4th, 2005 07:28 PM

Alecks, when I am back in my office this weekend, I will be contacting you about this and we'll see if we can get this situation resolved.

Chris Hurd November 4th, 2005 07:30 PM

Alecks, please contact me about this by email... chris at dvinfo.net

Alecks Purifoy November 5th, 2005 12:34 AM

e-mail sent Chris, thanks for your concern

Chris Hurd November 5th, 2005 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon french
Hey you ever going to send that camera to TRi? or are you just going to keep his money?

For Jon French:

Who or what is "TRi" -- please contact me by private email, chris at dvinfo.net as I am investigating this. Thanks in advance,

Jon French November 6th, 2005 11:50 PM

TRi is my friend who sent him money for this camera two weeks ago. He will be contacting you soon.

Chris Hurd November 7th, 2005 06:45 AM

Thanks Jon, I have heard from him. Looks like there were two victims of this scam. Perhaps we need to send our Goon Squad to pay this guy a visit... and just a reminder to our members, never ever use Western Union to send money. When a seller insists on a wire transfer, that's your first indication that something fishy is going on.

This guy claimed that "he needed the money fast for an airline ticket," well that is his emergency not yours, that is his problem which has no bearing on you. I think we need to revise our policies regarding this forum... thinking about restricting "for sale" items to those members with over 100 or so posts and several months of membership.

Jon French November 9th, 2005 08:48 AM

I know on alot of boards you have to have over 50 posts to post in forsale. 100 is pretty high, I'm on the board a fair amount and I have no where near that. I told him it sounded kind of fishy. You wouldnt happen to be able to give us his address would you?

Ryan Baker November 9th, 2005 10:11 AM

I can appreciate the effort being made to protect members. But requiring 50 or 100 posts would be limiting to me when I want to sell an item.

I've been a member since March 2004 and read nearly every day. However, I usually only login when I'm going to post a reply. My posts are few, but I try to help when I can and not waste peoples time when I can't.

Some members would get credit for a 'bump' or an 'off topic post' where I just try to keep my mouth shut.

Aren't there other solutions to this problem?

Alecks Purifoy November 9th, 2005 10:47 AM

im glad i sent him the money pay-pal....

but now im dealing with their endless red tape

im pretty disappointed now, i was looking forward to that cam...

Alecks Purifoy November 9th, 2005 03:07 PM

I don't want what happened to me to happen to other DV info users. But also i don't want any kind of for-sale restrictions either...

Buyers should just use more common sense than i did....

Steve Olds November 9th, 2005 06:40 PM

Hey I will be laid off here in Missouri in Dec. Need help on the goon squad? I have a set of wheels if you need a wheel man!!! I hate to see this happen seems you can't trust some people these days.

Alecks Purifoy November 10th, 2005 12:00 AM

he gave me a bunk phone number that i just tried calling....

and the address is likely not his.. but their are 5 people with "Luce" with a last name in Bosie who will be receiving a letter from my lawyer... who lucky for me is my brother.

150 dollars doesn't sound like a lot of money, but it is to me... I just got an opportunity to shoot a documentary and wanted to do so with this VX700. I guess thats the reason i jumped on it as quick as i did. This was such a blatant scam... i feel so had.

Any help tracking this punk down would be much appreciated!

And help finding me a solid camera would be nice too!

Thanks for the support every one...

Ill keep the community posted

Jon French November 10th, 2005 12:32 PM

If you find out his location and everything let us know so we can get my friends money back also.

Mike Teutsch November 10th, 2005 01:02 PM

Alecks,

What happened to you should never happen to anyone, especially here.

What kind of documentary are you ready to film? Maybe I can help,as I have extra cameras. I'll email you. Best of luck in finding this guy and I'm ready to fly there and help you bring this guy to justice.

Mike

Edit: Your email is not available, so email me. Mine is working fine.

Mike

Lorinda Norton November 10th, 2005 02:08 PM

Shoot, I live just fifteen miles from Boise. If ya need anything, Alecks, let me know!

As for a "goon squad," I could round up some help in a heartbeat!! ;)

Alecks Purifoy November 10th, 2005 02:30 PM

Wow, thanks a lot guys!

Here is an update on the legal side... of course this is if pay-pal doesn't refund me.

It looks like when ever I find him we can take him to small claims court or request restitution via subpoena. But if this address ends up being bunk, and because I live in a different state, I will go ahead and push for federal fraud charges. If he is a minor his parents will have to fill his place for any of these charges, and things will get messy... very messy. If the fraud charges are pressed, we will be able to take this to civil court or make a state claim.
Im very lucky to say my older brother is a lawyer... and hopefully he can help lay the justice upon this douche-bag

Of course this can all be avoided if he just gives me my 150 dollars back. I could relay use it.

Thanks again for the help, and i made my e-mail available for the forum users.

Alecks

Mike Teutsch November 10th, 2005 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Shoot, I live just fifteen miles from Boise. If ya need anything, Alecks, let me know!

As for a "goon squad," I could round up some help in a heartbeat!! ;)

Goon Squad, sounds good to me. I've been called that before, or was that Moron? Oh well, always looking for any excuse to go to Idaho to see my lovely friend Lorinda!

Mike

Alecks Purifoy November 10th, 2005 06:41 PM

When i yell "Goon Squad! Assemble!" will all of you guys interconnect to create a gigantic XL1 shaped robot that shall thwart the evil doers of DV INFO?

Alecks Purifoy November 11th, 2005 02:17 PM

Maybe you guys can stick him on your buddy list

his aim is GageLuce

he blocked me, of course, but i assume he still signs on occasionally

Lorinda Norton November 11th, 2005 02:43 PM

Not sure about that robot, Alecks, but there are lots of us here who don't take kindly to "evil doers." :)

Besides the five you found listed in Boise there are many more in the other connected towns. Want me to call down the list and ask if he's related before that letter hits 'em? Or would that be tipping him off? Lol! ;)

Alecks Purifoy November 11th, 2005 02:50 PM

hahhaha, oh the goon squad how i love you

im letting pay-pal go thru their little process and if i dont get refunded i will switch gears to the legal side

Ryan Reyes November 11th, 2005 06:50 PM

Sorry to read about this situation Alecks.

Unfortunately, I don't think paypal will refund you. I was in a similar predicament where I paid via paypal and the seller never sent the item. I went through the entire paypal claims process, and the seller was found at fault. So I was waiting to get a refund, when paypal told me they couldn't refund me because the seller's paypal account was empty. It's obvious he was smart enough to withdraw his funds before the process was over.

Sorry, don't mean to add to this already sad story.

I hope it all works out for you.

Alecks Purifoy November 11th, 2005 11:29 PM

Im prepared for the bad news, i didnt buy it on ebay so im not protected by their buyers safety policy or what ever

Steve Olds November 13th, 2005 12:53 PM

People get burnt on ebay also. I dought ebay would help if you had been burnt on a scam at ebay. I could be wrong.

Kin Kwan November 13th, 2005 10:46 PM

Haha I can't believe this. I actually 'bought' the camcorder from him, too. It's been about 4 weeks and still no cam. I did have luck reaching him and his roommate by phone the day he was supposed to send it out, but of course the line hasn't been working since then.

I knew it was kind of fishy from the beginning, but I was able to talk to him through AIM and on the phone, so I was convinced to lay down the $130. I guess I was spoiled by the fact that I've seen a lot of people buy/sell on this board with no problems (myself included). I also agree that we need some sort of rules regarding the selling of this stuff on the board.

I still kept his emails, phone #, address, and the pictures he sent me of the camcorder. If ya'll need help in getting this guy, let me know on how I can help.

Chris Hurd November 14th, 2005 05:59 AM

So now we have a third buyer involved? Did anybody else have contact with the seller? This incident gets nastier by the minute, it seems.

Steve Olds November 14th, 2005 01:32 PM

How about his ISP? I was told at one time this could be used to track a person down. Call the computer police.

Alecks Purifoy November 14th, 2005 09:00 PM

Thats not a bad idea steve, but i would have to contact his ISP and i have no idea who his ISP is.

Aanarav Sareen November 14th, 2005 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alecks Purifoy
Thats not a bad idea steve, but i would have to contact his ISP and i have no idea who his ISP is.

Chris should have his IP address and you can track it back from there. If you need any help, please let me know. I have done a lot of this (greedy hackers!)