Security - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 25th, 2004, 01:19 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Quote:
I liked the sample announcement they have on the site..."Someone is in the stairwell"... imagine hearing your computer say that in the middle of the night. Eek!
Sounds like an interesting crystal for a screenplay.

"X-10"

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #17
Air China Pilot

I've tested out the X-10 and actually it's a pretty good camera!

But I heard that they are out of business.
Old March 25th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #18
Wrangler

I still have to say a good guard dog is the best deterrent, depending on where/how you live. The only way you could get to my dog to poison him, is to be in the house in the first place. He doesn't even like people walking on the sidewalk in front of the house. I'd feel bad for anyone trying to break in. It isn't that Dobermans are agressive, just very protective.

I also have a security system that consisted of motion detectors and window alarms. It's a Home Depot type DIY job, but has a good siren, and auto-dialer. And it cost less than $300.

If I was going to spend the money again, I'd get a monitored service, like from ADT.

I don't think the motion detector computer/webcam things are valid security tools. I'd question their reliability. I think at best they'd give yo ua picture of the guy that now owns all your equipment. That may be helpful to the cops, but most of the ones around here have more serious crimes to investigate.

JMHO.
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:01 AM   #19
RED Code Chef

X-10 indeed. All those acronyms <g>. X-10 is a standard for
devices to operate with eachother in the house. It should not
be "out of business".

It might not be a top of the line security system, but the nice thing
is that you can build most parts yourself and add gradually. It's
not only to take a picture of who took it, but to warn you or
anyone else for that matter as well. I do believe some off-site
security companies can be notified through X-10 since it can
call out over a telephone line, send an sms message through the
internet or send an e-mail.

Then again, you could also put your harddisks and/or computers
into a vault. Even when running if you don't want someone to
take it anywhere (in that scenario you could have the monitor,
mouse, keyboard and DV VCR outside the vault still).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #20
Trustee

Just adding a link to Clark Howard's alarm system recommendations.

http://clarkhoward.com/library/tips/...y_systems.html

If you don't know who Clark Howard is, he is a consumer advocate that has a 3 hr radio show on many AM stations.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #21
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : Hmmm... ten responses and two address the question seriously. No wonder there's so much burglary going on in North America. I'll be stopping by all your houses, with some prime rib for your dogs, and a gas company uniform to satisfy your neighbors and then I'm gonna increase my inventory. ;)
-->>>

First you'd have to get my dog to eat the food (she won't) and you'd have to get into the building (fairly difficult and noisy) plus you cannot defeat the alarm in any reasonable manner.

Alarm systems are best designed to deter the dishonest. They persuade the bad guys to go somewhere else.

All the recording in the world of your property taking a hike won't save you from interrupted work and the likelihood you won't get it back in any case and faces can be covered and license plates obscured. Prevention is best. All the rest is just documenting your loss.

You may well be advised to talk with a Loss Prevention expert before you decide. They can be well worth their fee.
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #22
Wrangler

What Mike said.

Most thieves are lazy and stupid. If they were smarter and more motivated they'd do something with a better risk/reward ratio, like smuggle drugs.
It's easier for them to move to a house that doesn't have a "Protected by S&W Security" or "Warning, Vicious Dog" sign on the front. They want the easy score. Even a small alarm sign is a better alarm system that a video camera that records who did it. I don't remember the stats about how many people recover their stolen goods but I think it is less than 15%.

On the other hand, if someone REALLY wants to break in to YOUR house and steal your stuff, they will, regardless of any precautions you take. Most of the time, it is people that know you, and know about how much your equipment is worth. Take some degree of caution as to who you let into your home, and this will eliminate 90% of this category of theft.

I used to have a local ADT security branch as a client, and got the straight poop on security info.
Old March 25th, 2004, 12:13 PM   #23
Trustee

I have my service with an EMC (electric co-op). I bought the equipment and I pay $16 a month for a UL certified station monitoring station. When we set the alarm off (accidentally), the phone rings in less than a minute (usually around 30 seconds). What does it really buy me? Lower insurance and someone to pay attention to the smoke detector while I am gone. You may find that it is the smoke detection that results in the greatest loss prevention.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #24
Major Player

We hardly have any crime in our area. In my neighborhood, I have not heard of a single crime in the last 10 years, nothing, ZERO. The only time somebody call the cops was when out-of-town conmen get naive out-of-town teenagers to go house-to-house selling useless stuff, and scared some old lady.

The "local way" is not by locking doors or getting alarm, but not to let people know you have goodies. Everybody has guns around here, even the "liberals", and none of us has any hesitation to shoot. So thieves don't general target a specific house unless they know for sure there are goodies in there, worth the risk of getting shot.

When the repairman comes, or somebody delivers furniture, I would actually move all my large camera gears to a closed room. Hack, one time, I even took down a painting that looked expensive (probably went overboard that time). If the guy has a "rubber neck", I would try hard to remember his face, and casually mention it to my cop friends.

Most of the time, probably all the time, these guys are harmless. But then again when they go back to the office, some probably brag about "wow" items they saw on-site, like "boy, that guy have some expensive-looking video cameras..." And then word gets around.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #25
Wrangler

I'm low tech, I use two fire-proof safes.

For stuff that stays out in the open all the time, I use laptop locks that bolt to the desk. Course it's New York City, so better to be safe than sorry.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business