Budgeting and scheduling software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 29th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Budgeting and scheduling software

I am looking into buying some budgeting and scheduling software, but before doing so I was wondering if any of you could tell me the difference between Movie Magic Budgeting and Scheduling and EP Budgeting and Scheduling (from experience).

Since the software is really pricey I wouldn't want to buy 'the wrong one'.
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #2
Major Player

The EP software is the lastest version of Movie Magic.
Entertainment Partners are the new owners of MM and they say that the software is forward and backward compatible, even though there are some issues where an imported MM budget totals slightly differently in the EP version.
E.P. had an offer until yesterday, at $ 399 each. I have seen the software for $ 700 elsewhere. Perhaps they will still give you the cheap deal if you ask.

http://www.entertainmentpartners.com/
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

how about any sources for an excel spreadsheet with the standard budget top sheet and breakouts? anybody have any?

thanks, marc sacco
www.zenimage.com
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #4
Trustee

Try this software for Budgeting and scheduling...and more

Budgeting and scheduling software for filmmakers...it's great.

I just bought www.junglesoftware.com - it's awesome.

Murph
Old November 12th, 2004, 07:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks Murph! which version did you buy? (standard or pro?) how long have you used it? how many projects?

on a personal note...how are things in NH? any snow yet? i am looking forward to hitting the slopes with my camera again (as soon as i recover from my accident).
you can see some of my boarding footage on my demo (www.zenimage.com) this will be the first season with my xl1-s!)

anyway, i hope the biz has treated you well this year and maybe someday we'll get a chance to do a project together here in the NE!

thanks for your suggestion for the software. (i have the demo loaded and will check it out now. still looking for a cheap spreadsheet but may have to breakdown and BUY a real one!!! damn!) ;}
marc
ps. how do you guys get url links to be active on your replies? i cant do that!
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Major Player

I tried Gorilla a while ago, and I thought it was great. The problem for me is that some of my customers require me to be able to read their EP files. That is the only reason for me buying EP. Especially the EP budgetting sw is not very impressive at all and totally aimed at the US market, many features are useless in Europe.
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Trustee

Marc, that's cool we live close...we should hookup sometime. It's snowing RIGHT NOW for the first time this year! It started about 40 minutes ago...here we go.....argh!

Skiing is excellent up here in NH, so when you come let me know and maybe that's where we can hookup.

As far as the Gorilla software...it's worth it. I've just got it and started to play with it, so no real reviews here. It just seems to work welll for the $, and also has a lot of options. In addition, check out Frameforge for storyboarding. I recently got a copy of that too, and these two programs together are extremely powerful. (Final Cut, Photoshop too...all of those make one heck of a setup)

Murph

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business