What to do in this Situation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 11th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What to do in this Situation

I'm writing a screenplay with two other people. I know there needs to be release forms signed between us as writers.

Question is.. I'll be planning to Direct this film in the future, and start planning the pre-production once we are done writing. Now is there a release form between a writer and a director, even though I'm writing it too. I'll be planning, preparing the budget, asking for grants, etc doing all that. Basically wanting control, and not later having troubles with the other 2 writers saying let me do this, No it has to be like this.

I was told, Register the script with all the writers attached. Then you as Company XYZ option or purchase the script for $1. You will then have a nice paper trail and will own the rights.

But If I do the $1 dollar buying from the writer's
does that mean they don't get any money from the project. The thing is if this project gets distributed and if we got some money for it, I want them to get paid also. Plus why would I be buying the script from myself?

And if I find a producer for the film, how does that gurantee me as the director?

I'm confused about this.

Don't know how to go about it. I mean the script is registered under myself, and 2 other people, same with the copywrite is all under our names.
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Major Player

I see this as two issues:

1st issue is the co-writer status. I think you should agree between yourselves about the distribution of possible proceeds and whatever else, then go to a lawyer and have him/her draw up a nice document fixing all that. The lawyer probably has some good ideas about this issue.

You being the director is a totally different one and is between the writers and a possible producer. It's just one requirement that you guys have towards the producer. It may make it harder to find one...
You can always try & produce it yourself. Gives you all the creative freedom, because a producer often doesn't let the director do his thing either and I have the feeling that that is important to you.
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes I plan to produce for sure also, but might get other producers involved.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business