licensing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

licensing...

I know a lot of posts have been made, but I am having real trouble. I have never tried to get rights to music before. I made an Indie film with no budget, and I have a couple SoniC Youth songs in it, and some other artists. I am trying to get a hold of someone at BMI or ASCAP, but every time I call, every extension I call is an answering machine.... Is there another way to do this? This is very frustrating.

Michael Estepp
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 08:51 AM   #2
Wrangler

Neither BMI nor ASCAP can provide the rights. You need to contact the publisher who, most likely, owns the copyright and, if not, can put you in touch with whoever does. Take a look at the CD -- it will have the publisher's name somewhere on it.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Okay, and I can get the publishers contact info from BMI or ASCAP? If not, where from?
Michael Estepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Did you try their website??
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #5
Trustee

You can also hire someone to help. I have just started working with http://www.copycatlicensing.com. Since I am working on a Division I drum corps' video, I was referred as she also handles the rights for Drum Corps International. They need sync for their performances released on DVD as well as Master License for materials produced by other artist.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business