Filming and the (UK) Law! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 22nd, 2002, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Filming and the (UK) Law!

I wonder if someone can help me. I'm in the UK and i'm wondering about the legalities of filming in public places. I've seen a few public places i'd like to use in my film but don't know how to go about filming them.

1) Suppose i wanted to film a friend of mine driving his car along the road. I would be standing by the side of the road on the public pavement. Is this ok for me to do without breaking any law?

2) I'm filming a building, or part of a building or part of the street to use in a cut scene, i'm not on the buildings property but the building can be seen, people may walking past.

3) I'm filming some actors outside a public building but not on the buildings property just on the footpath

Finally is there any kind of references to these kinds of law so i might be able to find out for myself to save me hassling you poor people all the time.

Kind regards

Nick
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 11:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nick
I can assure you alltough Tones trying hard were not in Dictatership YET!.
Its only once your inside the Public or Private building do you need to request permission to film.

Peter.
Peter Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2002, 11:51 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

And I think you also have a problem if:

1) you can see branding etc.
2) you can "Recognise" the building... Ie, the name is
visible and stuff...

not sure though. I'm no legal expert.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 02:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You can download a copy of the Filmakers' code of practice from http://www.london-film.co.uk/ go to the 'code of practice' section. This should cover everything you want to know - it's the version for London but the laws in Norfolk are proabbly very similar.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 03:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys

Nick
Nick Glenister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 04:13 AM   #6
Wrangler

If you are filming in front of a building with a logo then you need to ask permission from the company/ owner.

If you are making finacial gain from the project then it is advisable to contact the local council to see whether the places you want to film, are OK to film.

Most councils have some sort of department which can advise you on certain situations, and even source out possible filming locations.

Although you don't have to do this (in most cases), it is advisable out of common courtesy to do so.

Hope this helps. I'm no legal expert but after studying media at college I belive thats what you have to do.

All the best

Ed Smith
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business