Clearing the Oscars at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 1st, 2005, 12:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Clearing the Oscars

As I watched the Oscar show this year I kept wondering if they could even put on a show like that if they had to go thru the same copyright clearance hoops that the rest of us would have to go thru to play all that famous music and show all those clips.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 06:09 AM   #2
Major Player

The Academy certainly clears every clip they show the same way you or I would have to. They probably use a clearance house, just like we can.
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM   #3
Major Player

My bet is that they get a blanket clearance from the major studios and catalog owners to use anything they want.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

Re: Clearing the Oscars

<<<-- Originally posted by John Galt : As I watched the Oscar show this year I kept wondering if they could even put on a show like that if they had to go thru the same copyright clearance hoops that the rest of us would have to go thru to play all that famous music and show all those clips. -->>>

They absolutely do clear everything. There are professional clip clearance services that do this.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

And for what it's worth, American Idol has to go through the same process, and that's an entire series, not just a once-a-year show.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business